The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New owner - And so the project begins...

That_Supra_Guy

Hi Boys and Girls,

New to the forum, thought I'd share my new summer project. I'm a complete newbie to Supra's having owned only a few hatchbacks previously. The car is not perfect by any means, especially cosmetically, which I'll be sorting along with many other bits and bobs. I'm a bike mechanic currently and just finished up studying Aeronautical Engineering at uni so I'm fairly confident in trying new things. The forums came up with a few gems so far that I'll be applying when I get the chance. Anyway, here she is currently as I bought her last week: (Import N/A manual in silver running BBS LM (19") wheels, Tein coilovers all round, HID headlights, Full stainless 5zigen exhaust system (middle silencer removed), and an Apexi Induction kit. otherwise, completely stock minus the rear spats and skirts.) P.S forgive me if the images are screwed up, forum newbie :rolleyes:

I gave her a quick wash for the debut ;)

attachment.php?attachmentid=170623&d=1370385632

attachment.php?attachmentid=170624&d=1370385632

attachment.php?attachmentid=170625&d=1370385632

attachment.php?attachmentid=170626&d=1370385632

attachment.php?attachmentid=170627&d=1370385632

DSCN0733.JPG

DSCN0745.JPG

DSCN0742.JPG

DSCN0734.JPG

DSCN0748.JPG

Edited by That_Supra_Guy (see edit history)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair few jobs need doing initially. Basically I want to get her running mechanically sound and sorting out all the cosmetic issues before I start adding bits. List so far:

-Find a replacement grill set for the front bumper (missing atm)

-Get the front lip refitted - mini project to come on this... ;)

-Either find a replacement side skirt (old smashed at the front - drivers side (pics)) or a new pair entirely, I prefer cleaner skirts...

-Engine bay clean/tidy, tooooo many wires hanging around, literally.

-Refurbish petrol tank cover

-Wheels need a light refurbish - pitting slightly around rear lips

-General interior detailing clean

-Possibly spoiler removal, I love these things with just a small lip OR a TRD number if I can get a hold of one.

-Fan needs replacing (small chunk missing from one of the blades (see attached)

-metallic knocking sound underneath my drivers seat, sounding suspiciously like either a loose heat shield/trapped stone - anyone had similar issues?

-New number plates, front especially, its horrid. The rear is just a tad too big for my liking.

-General service (probably not necessarily needed, I'd just feel better knowing everything's fresh)

-Boot rattle - I'm led to believe this is the boot rubbers at the rear, mines are shot to hell.

-Squeaking clutch pedal - one of the more annoying things, but an easy fix.

-Speakers need sorting, bass is non existent.

-Headlight refurbish

-Few engine bay issues - battery rod clamp missing, rattling wire connections etc etc - I'll detail these when I come round to them.

-Gear knob badly worn, so that'll be getting changed.

So far that's what I want to get done when i have the time, get her back to a decent standard by which time I'll start adding some nice goodies to keep her fresh ;) :

-Bride full bucket seats/Takata harnesses

-Roll cage (half or full, undecided atm)

-snap-off steering wheel

-remove rear seats(they literally are pointless in these things,unless you're Richard Hammond driving)

-4 fresh sets of rubber

-Rear diffuser If I can get a hold of one at the right price...

-possibly new deep(er) split wheels at some point in the future, although I'm liking these at the minute. I'd prefer a slightly wider stance...

-Possible decat, I love it how it sounds atm though, completely in love with her exhaust note!

-Few performance tweaks, I understand the NA's aren't the most tunable cars in the world, still, always room for improvement!

So, plenty more to go with this list, I'll keep you updated as and when I get round to jobs, enjoy!

DSCN0736.JPG

DSCN0756.JPG

DSCN0746.JPG

DSCN0759.JPG

DSCN0762.JPG

Looks a nice car with some sensible plans.

The LMs just sit great on the Supra, very nice!

Hope to see it at some Scottish meets soon :)

Thanks man, Yeah classic combo! For sure, once I get the body issues sorted haha, a little embarrassing driving around with a damaged skirt and a bumper with no lip...

So I had a spare few hours to hand today while I was hanging around to get shot of my civic I had for sale.....So I decided to give my fuel tank cover a quick respray with a spare can of satin hammerite I found laying in my shed. Turns out the shield is pretty past it, fair few rust holes forming, big a** dent in the corner and the inside was rotting away to hell. I'll be sourcing a better condition one once a few other important jobs are done first due to the state, so this was temporary, but gives the back end a much needed clean up for only a few quid; really chuffed with it, for not much effort....I'll get a before/after shot (fitted) tomorrow in the better light :D. Anyways, here's the before/after of the shield itself....

Also, check the amount of junk laying around in there, this was after I'd removed a few handfulls :L

DSCN0793.JPG

DSCN0792.JPG

DSCN0790.JPG

DSCN0788.JPG

DSCN0794.JPG

So I've discovered that the cam cover gaskets are shot, oil sitting all around the cover/head seal. Kinda blows but it's something to get stuck into and an opportunity to learn something new :eyebrows: ....plus it's an excuse to get some bits and bobs tarted up a little while they're off :D. Here's the leakiness:

DSCN0806.JPG

DSCN0807.JPG

And whilst the sun was out I thought I'd make a start on my front lip. The one that came with it was not to my taste at all, the wings at the side are swinging a little too fast and furious way for me. I prefer a cleaner look, so I've chopped them off, Fibre glassing new mount lips where the cuts have been made, once that's all sorted and I'm happy that it fits nicely I'll be painting it satin or matt black to give a slightly more OEM appeal. I Reckon the black will look sick, the full silver is horrid.

check the amount of silicone crap I had to cut out, a previous owner tried to just stick the beast on with great FAIL. I'll keep updating this as I get each step done!

DSCN0814.JPG

DSCN0808.JPG

DSCN0812.JPG

DSCN0815.JPG

Got cracking with the lip again today. Got it test fitted this evening and I'm super chuffed with the result :D I added some fibre glass mounting tabs (using the old cardboard and sellotape trick) in place of the horrid wings that I removed, obviously I trimmed them down after these photos. Drilled some holes (hard thinking tongue out effort...) and fired it on. Boom.

I'll be painting it matte black tomorrow once I've filled in all the defects and smoothed it over. Enjoy.

One problem I now face is speed bumps, I can barely squeeze my foot under her :(

attachment.php?attachmentid=171221&stc=1&d=1371414150

attachment.php?attachmentid=171218&stc=1&d=1371414150

attachment.php?attachmentid=171219&stc=1&d=1371414150

attachment.php?attachmentid=171220&stc=1&d=1371414150

DSCN0817.JPG

DSCN0821.JPG

DSCN0831.JPG

DSCN0832.JPG

Edited by That_Supra_Guy (see edit history)

attachment.php?attachmentid=171222&stc=1&d=1371415589

Also, since I'm having trouble trying to source a drivers side OEM skirt (message me if you can point me in the right direction) I figured I may as well give repairing this a go since It's currently covered with duct tape as a temporary bodge. Days off work are where my best work takes place...:eyebrows:

DSCN0746.JPG

Got my cam cover gaskets replaced yesterday (old ones were leaking all over the place), took me all afternoon given the N/A's have 1.2 million pipes to remove with the throttle body assembly and air intake. Glad I gave it a bash myself though, went without a hitch minus some scraped knuckles....:blink: Also checked all the sparks etc whilst they were accessible and everything's sweet! Just need to re-torque the bolts/nuts in a few more miles time. Here's some pretty pictures of the cams whilst the covers were off...

attachment.php?attachmentid=171318&stc=1&d=1371591659

Oil's definitely in need of a change, as does the gearbox and diff oil, but I'll get that done another day...

attachment.php?attachmentid=171319&stc=1&d=1371591659

attachment.php?attachmentid=171320&stc=1&d=1371591659

attachment.php?attachmentid=171321&stc=1&d=1371591659

Now that I've had everything off, I'm pretty confident I want to get started on detailing my bay, so polished or chromed cam covers, polished throttle body/inlet, new cam gears (still undecided on colours, but fancying a green theme under the hood, don't see many supra's with green details. It'll be tastefully done, I hate bright, painted items so anodized green components with another colour would look fantastic and also allow me to upgrade bits and bobs as I progress.

Next up, getting that damn side skirt sorted/replaced and getting that lip finished off...

DSCN0838.jpg

DSCN0841.jpg

DSCN0842.jpg

DSCN0843.jpg

Got the rubber dampeners for the boot lid replaced today...big thanks to Paul from Whifbitz, delighted.

Now I see why people go to extreme measures to remove them :blink:, those damn screws are tighter than a...well you know. I managed to remove one with the screw drivers, the rest I had to get creative with. This may or may not have been suggested before, but if not, here you go; no more blow torches and angle grinders like I've seen attempted before :D :

attachment.php?attachmentid=171673&stc=1&d=1372278572

attachment.php?attachmentid=171674&stc=1&d=1372278572

What I ended up doing was flattening the lipped edge of the metal mounting plates which are left behind once the old perished rubber was pulled off with a punch/hammer to give enough room for some vise grips to twist the screws off that way. The screw heads were not for playing ball :tongue:

attachment.php?attachmentid=171675&stc=1&d=1372278572

The remains of three of the four bolts, thank god for vise grips:

attachment.php?attachmentid=171676&stc=1&d=1372278572

Anyways, new ones all fitted up and forever the rattling boot lid will cease to rattle my t*ts in.

DSCN0907.JPG

DSCN0908.jpg

DSCN0909.JPG

DSCN0913.JPG