The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Stripping Weight from supra

MONKEYmark

just been out and started to strip some weight out of supra to see if it makes any difference.

stripped rear seats out, boot carpet, some of boot plastic trim. think it looks cool stripped out. going to paint silver floor and boot in a black so it dont stand out too much. have took off some black heavy metal things off top of struts and just replaced with a rear strut brace. the black things i took off the top of rear struts seemed to weigh more than the custco rear strut brace.

got to take out the plastic box where normally you have the rear sub on posh supras, a couple of cables stopping it from coming out. mine was an economy supra with no lsd or cruise control. ran out of light so packed up for today.

took the rear seats out and the rear seatbelt connecting points.

need to take some more trim out to get the rear seat belts out.

does anyone think its worth stripping out weight or would it make it worse for traction if back end is lighter. will eventually relocate battery in boot when i look into it.

was good stripping all crap out of car. will have to get it on a weigh bridge when im done see how much it weighs.

got a alpine sat nav box under seat that has never worked. will rip all that crap out too.

Originally posted by dude

Problem is Mark you really need to be putting weight into the back not removing it ;)

dude:flame Dev

just thought i would give it ago. i know supras bad with traction. will give it a try see how i get on. going to try it out at the top speed event on sunday. will let you know how i get on. there is a big thread on supra forums where they arguing about a guy in the 9`s has stripped his car.

thanks for link will look tommorow, going to cornwall in morning to pick up MONKEYmotorsports new toy :)

nissan power here we come

a post off supraforums

The runs were at 31...at most 32 psi. SAME boost i have been running for 2 years now on various setups. Nothing has changed. Same gauges everything. As far as the weight issue....That is also true...ALL this year i have ran it the same way....only the passenger seat issue with certain races....so its not like all of a sudden i lightened car and ran the time. It is exactly the same all year...Just finally everything has come together....Only new thing was the TRD rear...and no boost leaks etc etc.

The ccw setup honestly does not save any wieght over stock wheel/ tire setup . ..if it does it is very very very minimal.

Here is list of things off my car since most seem to be focusing on it.

Spare tire/jack/tools

rear seat top and bottom

Hatch piece of carpet

power antenna motor

rear wiper and motor

3 Black plastic hatch panels

Rear Sub box

Stock amp

passenger seat

black plastic underpanels

the under hood fire liner thing

Trac system

Charcoal cannister

Rear bumper brace

EGr

Headlight out

That is it. I still have cruise in, power steering, everything. Same as it always has been this whole year. 5 gallons of C16, And CCW setup...still TT brakes all way aroundi weigh 185 . So only things extra over most others is wiper motor, power antenna, plastic panels, rear bumper brace. Thats it. I will put the extras back on maybe this friday and run car to prove weight at this power level means very very little. Or i will go weigh it then put all back in and weigh it to see difference.

removing weight will help acceleration,and its cheaper to remove weight than to add horsepower, weight removal will have little or no effect on top speed,unless the distance to get to top speed is limited, top speed is down to the frontal area and engine power primarily, if you carried a 500 kg weight in the supe top speed would be the same

Originally posted by MONKEYmark

thanks jagman

not into top speeds. the few bits i have took out so far seem to weigh a bit. suppose a lot of weight could be saved on wheels.

will strip out lots ot trim and look into some light weight seats that hold you in place.

Take your engine out, have you weighed one of those, it's massive :eek: plus you'll be taking weight out the front of the car :thumbs:

-Ian

Originally posted by dude

Problem is Mark you really need to be putting weight into the back not removing it ;)

dude:flame Dev

Most the weight you remove at TOTB was from the rear, and you ran a quicker time after that. Was that what helped? Or did you up the boost/get a better launch?

Mark, the hardtop registry covers pretty much everything simple that can be done. I can't comment on drag times, but handling is improved.

Originally posted by Syed Shah

Most the weight you remove at TOTB was from the rear, and you ran a quicker time after that. Was that what helped? Or did you up the boost/get a better launch?

Mark, the hardtop registry covers pretty much everything simple that can be done. I can't comment on drag times, but handling is improved.

TBH it didnt make a blind bit of difference Syed from what i could tell , the one place you dont want to remove weight from is the rear wheel area !!!! As soon as the cars in the states start running quickly they add quite a lot of weight in a tube under the rear bumper , normally using lead shot , if you could lose say over 150kgs then it might start to become worth it , personally id just run an extra .1 bar of boost or go up a jet size on the NOS .

Dude:flame Dev

just found this pic on supra forums. the black things attatched to top of strut towers. is it ok to leave them off?

i took them off and replaced with a rear cusco strut brace.

are they some sort of strenght thing?

they are heavy items too

thanks

http://www.streetneeds.com/uploads/supraforums/1Asized0001.jpg

Originally posted by Adam Kindness

i ran my quickest time with spare wheel out, jack out and feck all fuel..... traction was never really a prob with the auto in the dry, on standard SC

im hoping i can nick a couple of tenths off time stripping weight and removing light to get cold air in engine.

on your corsa you went mental stripping weight. how do you fine it. i know its going to be noisy. is it worth all the hasstle?

monkey....

the corsa is hell of a lot cheaper (was..... now standign around 12k :( ) to rip apart etc etc

It was running about 0.5sec quicker on the 1/4mile compared to road trim cars of same spec.

All trim has been removed, all sound deadning, plastic trim on the outside, wipers, aerials etc. 5.5kg alloys, kevlar buckets etc

Its very lively, great pickup in every gear with little weight..... terrible traction without diff, gets a bit too airborn when susp is setup very hard and a bit unstable at speeds of 100+

Originally posted by Bobbeh

Keep it street spec, you'll get no pats on the back racing a stripped out tin can. (not from me anyway ;) )

What difference does most that stuff make though? Who uses the rear seat? Spare wheel? etc etc, still has all the toys it came with. The line is crossed when creature comforts such as the A/C are removed IMHO (unless you live somewhere even colder than England).