The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra problems!!

nemesisjez

Ok so ive had my jap Supra for about 7 years now. Money got tight and had the car off the road for over a year. The last 6 months ive refurbed all callipers and put on new discs but for some reason the fronts seem to be binding on after braking for a little while.

ie if its rain and i come to a halt, smoke pours off the front for a few seconds. Although ive always liked my cars and always wanted a supra, my mechanical knowledge is pretty poor. I have checked the pistons move smoothly which they do. Cant think of anything else it could be????

Now the next thing is i seem to be getting a knocking what feels like someone tapping a hammer under my feet. Feels like its definetely front orientated. tends to be worse on rougher roads and when braking and cornering, When full lock 3 point turning it makes a fairly loud cracking noise. Again very frustrating. In my MOT they said one of the lower arms would need changing at some point.Could it be that?? They are so bloody expensive and wouldnt want to change it if that wasnt it!

If it is lower arms does anyone know where i could get some cheapish good second hand ones as just bought shocks all round and with the discs and reseal kits im spent out.

Many thanks

Jez

What brakes are on your car.

As far as knocking etc is concerned i'd get it on a ramp for an

hour with a decent mechanic and have a look at all the bushes

ball joints and check for play.

I'd then go round and torque up all the nuts and bolts on the

suspension including the subframe bolts.

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

HUM you do have a valid point though as im pretty sure they are missing but like you say doesnt help with the binding. The funny thing was when i replaced my shocks the tapping was much better but now getting worse again

By the sounds of your description it's a similar noise I had coming from a set of UK Specs before I upgraded - it drove me mental!! :wacko: :mad: They actually did have the anti-rattle shims still fitted but they were, I think, past their best... :rolleyes:

Thanks Dave. You could be right but even driving for a few miles without pressing on brakes there is still this constant banging and like i said it seems to be worse over rougher roads which in my mind would say shock related? Not that i know a bloody thing! lol

Thanks Dave. You could be right but even driving for a few miles without pressing on brakes there is still this constant banging and like i said it seems to be worse over rougher roads which in my mind would say shock related? Not that i know a bloody thing! lol

Aaahhh, I see. Ok perhaps that's a bit different then thinking about it. :think: And yes I would guess you're right and it's suspension-related. As Dunk said before, car on ramp and have a good root around. :)