The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How old were you when you bought your MKIV Supra?

Guest IWantASupraNow

Guest IWantASupraNow

I'm 18 and I badly want a supra, I currently drive a Corsa and quite frankly, I don't like it. My neighbour has one and whenever I hear it, I quickly run to the window and listen to sound of it and watch it go :D

I know the insurance costs are going to be insanely high, however I was thinking of getting a job and save up for a few years and then insuring it on my parents name. Furthermore whenever I go on my computer, the first thing I do is look at a picture of a Supra, yes this does make a psycho I guess, but well; I wish I could have a supra. Anyway, how old were you when you first purchased your Toyota Supra?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I got mine this year at the age of 27.

I guess that if you start working at an early age and spare some money you can get one at an early age.

Especially if you still live at your parents home.

But yeah, insurance and all extra fees cost a quite a lot, so you need to have the money for the supra + some extra founds :)

I was 19 I remember back then there was only 4-7 supras for sale on autotrader I picked up a 5spd na for £7500! it cost me around £1600 with my parents added as named drivers , but seriously try halifax car insurance its via sabre as my misses is 22 and she drives a skyline and its costing her £1000 a year with 4years ncd.

I was 23. 5 speed na.

Got a uk tt auto at 25. Which I still have and is for sale ;)

Got a single 6 speed when I was 28

I had a Clio before that. So Jumped up 60bhp-200bhp-400bhp-520bhp.

So if you get one drive it sensibly and there is no reason you cant get one

You will need deep pockets for insurance. And parts can be expensive. But 2nd hand ones are easy to come by but you are risking them not being as hood or lasting as long.

Don't insure it under your parents name as the main driver, its illegal (called fronting I believe) you might aswell not have insurance because as soon as you get in an accident they will ask questions... And any chance insurance companies get to not pay out they will take.

Oh and tell them of any mods too. For the same reason.

Edited by Guigsy (see edit history)

I was to old to bother mentioning it in this context lol

Get some no claims under your belt, avoid any accidents until you are 21 and your insurance will be more affordable, then it tend to get cheaper again at 25, well it never gets cheap as such

Just depends how much spare money you have, there are members on here that have had Supra's at your age, you would proberbly need by choice a UK Spec and totally stock

Guest Budz86

21 when I got the NA and 24 when I got the TT. Insurance will be the killer, most wouldn't touch me until I had at least one years no claims. Started coming down after that though :)

I was 31 and had my other priorities in life sorted.

These cars are very expensive when things go wrong. If you haven't got a grand or two lying around for repairs then I wouldn't even consider it, especially at 18 with no job.

H.

These cars are very expensive when things go wrong. If you haven't got a grand or two lying around for repairs then I wouldn't even consider it, especially at 18 with no job.

H.

I'd say more than a couple of grand H :( I had £4k sat back for repairs, but after the forced respray after a nice van man hurt the supra, then the oil pump, FMS, leaky sumps, crank pulley, a buckled wheel forcing new ones, servicing every 3-4 months or so, it quickly dwindles away :(

Now my Supra account doesn't have much left in it, but I am slowly building it back up again now all the niggles (bar a couple) are sorted :)

I'd say more than a couple of grand H :( I had £4k sat back for repairs, but after the forced respray after a nice van man hurt the supra, then the oil pump, FMS, leaky sumps, crank pulley, a buckled wheel forcing new ones, servicing every 3-4 months or so, it quickly dwindles away :(

Now my Supra account doesn't have much left in it, but I am slowly building it back up again now all the niggles (bar a couple) are sorted :)

If you want the "perfect" Supra then that is going to be very expensive. I don't want to burst the OP's bubble but dreaming of a now ageing iconic car at 18 is always going to be out of reach. Unless you have family with big pockets and money to burn.

H.

This. :yes:

The cars themselves can be picked up really quite cheaply nowadays, but the running costs can be astronomical. I quite like that because apart from the odd spoilt rich kid, the Supra market (and I'm talking TTs / singles here) is a self-selecting crowd - you need a decent enough salary to be able to afford an often-expensive hobby from disposable income.

I was 26 incidentally when I bought my (stock JDM TT) Supra, which is the same car I have now albeit made "subtely" different... :innocent:

I'm in a similar boat to you mate seeing as I'm 20. From what I've seen experimenting on different sites for quotes however, is that once you are 21 and have 1 Year NCB then the price drops to something reasonable, especially if you can sort a UK Spec TT.

Obviously if you can wrack up more NCB before being 21 then you are in an even better position.

I'm literally counting the days down till everything falls into place for me

I was 20 when I bought my n/a auto, bought the auto as it was £500 cheaper than the manual to insure with Tesco. Was a cool car back then, my mates driving corsas and clios and I rolled up in a supra one day lol. Cost me literally a couple of pounds under 2k to insure it though..

I'm literally counting the days down till everything falls into place for me

Risky! Those magic insurance price drops at 21 and 25 weren't forthcoming for me (admittedly not on a Supra, obviously). Basically, don't count on it...

I was 18 when I brought my NA and I still have it.

Insurance renewal on my first car (2004 1.6 Astra) was going to be £2000. Insurance on the supra was £2300 so I figured, while I have no bills, no mortgage and no real commitments, I may as well do it, as I may never have been in a position to do it again.

However, looking back now, I was so eager to buy a supra and I wish I had waited a year or two.

Listen to the above advice, don't go on your parents insurance, it's known as fronting and will invalidate your insurance should you be in an accident, or get pulled over.

Also, from someone who was in your position, is advise you to wait and save. I was a serving soldier when I brought mine and could afford to run it on my budget, without a job, you have no chance.

Keep the enthusiasm, wait a couple of years, get yourself a job and enjoy your supra more, knowing you can do what you like, when you like with it.