The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hand luggage

Paul Whiffin

I guess there are 3 considerations - size, weight, and whether any part of it could be perceived as being used as a weapon (which apparently include pool cues, tennis rackets, tweezers, and my 4 inch keyring bike spanner at Atlanta airport).

Size and weight are up to the airlines, so if you know this info you could check on their websites (they usually don't enforce these particularly stringently, especially US airlines). I think you'd be most likely to fall foul of the weapons aspect, especially getting through the metal detectors!

Could you not buy loads of bubble wrap and other packages, a large rigid suitcase, and pack it carefully in there? Again US airlines seem to be much more leniant on luggage allowances than European airlines.

:looney:

I brought a pair of j-spec turbos as hand luggage from UK to HK, pre 911. When my bag was scanned by customs at Heathrow they took it to one side and asked what was in it. The turbos were bubble wrapped, I said they were car parts, they did a sniffer test for explosives and then let me on my way.

The bag weighed an absolute tonne so it went in an overhead locker over someone elses seat.... just in case:flame Dev

It's gonna be a right bugger to get all the way to the hand luggage scan thing and then you find out they aren't going to let you take it onboard. What happens then? :(

Boring bit: Explosive and drug sniffing is done with a machine called an IMS. We've got one at work and we calibrate it using a cocaine sample :eek:

Its good money yep and an easy life as well, thats all his done all his life is play golf, what a life!

The Open this year was an amazing experience, I had a players pass so could go anywhere, I was eating my dinner next to Colin Montgomorie, Levet, Faldo, etc. On the practise area I was surrounded by the best golfers in the world, watching them prepare to go out. Bit of an eye opener, hopefully Sean will be there every year from now on!

There's so good roads up in Scotland as well!