The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Converting RHD to LHD

Guest Madmatt9797

Guest Madmatt9797

Hello, i've been wanting a supra for a while now, but I live in Canada, and all the Supra's here in all of Ontario are RHD. I'm not interested in driving RHD all the time as it will be inconvenient in certain situations, and will be more accident prone. Would it be possible to convert RHD to LHD? I am not a mechanic, so would be bringing it into a professional shop and am hoping they would be able to find the parts needed for me, and take care of it all. Give me your input on this, I know it may be expensive (Anyone have a price range they'd think it would be in? including the shop finding the parts) I was thinking it'd be around 10 grand or so. This is my favorite car so i'm thinking it'd be worth it.

The insurance would also be a pain with having it RHD

Edited by Madmatt9797 (see edit history)

I think you my have youre work cut out there mate but things can always be done just down to money!!

I never done it but would say you would need lhd bulkhead (lots of work), pedel set, full dash kit, heater blower, etc etc 95% sure you would need to change or sort out brake pipes and pos master cylinder? then you start with power steering rack and fittings etc etc as on other side what would it fail on?? as if you have oil relocate etc??

LOOK DEEP!! in to it before you start as you don't want lose the love for your supra :)

if you got a idea of what your after pay £10 gbp to join fully and you will find lots of help on here plus couple of traders on here have fingers in lots of pies and can find some utter stunning cars to all specs for very good money!!

Guest Madmatt9797
The search bar is your friend. Its been covered a few times.

Welcome to the forum by the way :)

Thanks! Yes I've done quite a bit of searching, but there isn't too much that i've found useful. mainly people saying don't do it, but i'm in Canada and i'd MUCH rather LHD.

- - - Updated - - -

User Vanil is your friend.

He has done quite few conversions.

Awesome, i'll look some stuff up after school. thanks for the reply

Guest Madmatt9797
I think you my have youre work cut out there mate but things can always be done just down to money!!

I never done it but would say you would need lhd bulkhead (lots of work), pedel set, full dash kit, heater blower, etc etc 95% sure you would need to change or sort out brake pipes and pos master cylinder? then you start with power steering rack and fittings etc etc as on other side what would it fail on?? as if you have oil relocate etc??

LOOK DEEP!! in to it before you start as you don't want lose the love for your supra :)

if you got a idea of what your after pay £10 gbp to join fully and you will find lots of help on here plus couple of traders on here have fingers in lots of pies and can find some utter stunning cars to all specs for very good money!!

Yea for sure man I know there's LOTS of work to do. that's why i'm leaving it up to a pro :) sounds like a good bit of work, and is gonna be expensive. but this will be sick.

Guest Madmatt9797

What would the insurance be like in Canada/Ontario for one of these? especially with it being RHD.. Hell, i'd pretty much just be buying it to convert it to LHD as there's no LHD's around here at all unless you're looking to put out $31000.

Anyone know an approximate cost it would be for a pro to take care of all of this for converting to LHD

Your best bet is to get some quotes from garages local to you who do that sort of thing. A small number of people on here (not me, I've no idea) could give you an indication of what parts would need changing and their cost, but labor charges are country-specific so you're unlikely to get an accurate figure on here.

Same with insurance: get quotes. Prices can vary wildly with specific circumstances (they do in the UK anyway).

Is car import tax in Canada very expensive? If not, what about importing a car from the US or continental Europe? If you don't know any car importers, speak to Jurgen on here (jurgen-jm-imports): he'll either be able to import to Canada, or if he doesn't he may know someone who does.

Be careful with the insurance, a conversion like that is a massive job and a lot can go wrong, insurers may not like it. Theres tons of rhd cars over there whos owners have no problems at all, Im on Club Aristo and theres many members in Canada, just man up and enjoy being different!

What would the insurance be like in Canada/Ontario for one of these? especially with it being RHD.. Hell, i'd pretty much just be buying it to convert it to LHD as there's no LHD's around here at all unless you're looking to put out $31000.

Anyone know an approximate cost it would be for a pro to take care of all of this for converting to LHD

I just got a RHD Jdm mk4 and got insurance with Hagerty, $480/yr. I actually got lucky cause they just stopped insuring RHD vehicles. I do not recommend converting as it requires way too many parts and who knows how the end result will be. Did you ever drive a RHD here? I dont see the problem at all except drive thru's. If it bothers you that much, just get a c-spec or USDM mk4.

If you want a RHD, contact [email protected]. He will get you an immaculate mk4 and will hook you up with cheap insurance too.. Trust me, he got mine and its beautiful.

Good luck

Ryan

From what I can remember from a previous thread on here the most time consuming part of the conversion was changing and or extending all of the wiring. From what I can remember all the holes for the things like pedals are already there. It can be done but will be very time consuming and then there is the cost of all the interier parts. To be honest I would stick with a RHD as its not really that much of a problem as you would think it to be, I often drive my supra across France to visit my sister and it doesn't seam to bother me when driving or overtaking as much as I thought it would have done.

Guest Madmatt9797
Be careful with the insurance, a conversion like that is a massive job and a lot can go wrong, insurers may not like it. Theres tons of rhd cars over there whos owners have no problems at all, Im on Club Aristo and theres many members in Canada, just man up and enjoy being different!

That's all i'm worrying about is insurance.. especially with a RHD car the prices would be insane with it being a daily driver.. if i could even find insurance at that.

Guest Madmatt9797
I just got a RHD Jdm mk4 and got insurance with Hagerty, $480/yr. I actually got lucky cause they just stopped insuring RHD vehicles. I do not recommend converting as it requires way too many parts and who knows how the end result will be. Did you ever drive a RHD here? I dont see the problem at all except drive thru's. If it bothers you that much, just get a c-spec or USDM mk4.

If you want a RHD, contact [email protected]. He will get you an immaculate mk4 and will hook you up with cheap insurance too.. Trust me, he got mine and its beautiful.

Good luck

Ryan

I am definitely looking into a LHD, but the prices on those are crazy. plus here in Canada there's only one in all of Ontario on kijiji and that's for $31000.

Guest Madmatt9797
Really huh? I think it'd be much better for insurance having it converted to LHD as that's the main thing.. I'd think people could convert it over here with no problems as there is a customs shop here in windsor that does total restorations, or builds one up for you. I am gonna look into shops around here and see if they could convert them to LHD, and possibly get a price range. Once again I don't see why it would be a problem as it's gonna be LHD

I am definitely looking into a LHD, but the prices on those are crazy. plus here in Canada there's only one in all of Ontario on kijiji and that's for $31000.

That is exactly why i got a RHD.. The ones here are too valuable so it all comes down to $. Did you see this one in Calgary? http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Toyota/Supra/CALGARY/Alberta/19_7010443_/?showcpo=ShowCPO

Guest Madmatt9797
That is exactly why i got a RHD.. The ones here are too valuable so it all comes down to $. Did you see this one in Calgary? http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Toyota/Supra/CALGARY/Alberta/19_7010443_/?showcpo=ShowCPO

I'm only in Ontario though.. plus 27 grand is too much for me. i'd be under $15000 for a TT. am looking for around $11k or something so i have extras to convert to LHD http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-1994-twin-turbo-Toyota-supra-W0QQAdIdZ484950457 there's a nice one. I just gotta make sure people around here can convert it around here

look at this one as well http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-1993-Toyota-Supra-Right-Hand-Drive-Coupe-W0QQAdIdZ482991074 Only 8 grand.. i could do that, convert it to LHD and later put in a 2JZGTE

That NA looks nice, but I think the price is pretty high for a '93 with 120k on it. If you're going for a turbo then I'd suggest buying one to start with. It's cheaper in the long run I think.

edit: especially now I've seen it's also an Auto. After you're done converting to LHD, TT engine, 6-speed box you'll be spending more than the 28.000 for a LHD TT.

Guest Madmatt9797
That NA looks nice, but I think the price is pretty high for a '93 with 120k on it. If you're going for a turbo then I'd suggest buying one to start with. It's cheaper in the long run I think.

edit: especially now I've seen it's also an Auto. After you're done converting to LHD, TT engine, 6-speed box you'll be spending more than the 28.000 for a LHD TT.

thanks. I'm just hoping these cars will be around still in a few years and without skyrocketed prices. I've got a couple years to get everything together. I don't think there will be a problem getting a supra in about 5 years or so without having to import it. That's why I'm trying to buy what I can before its too late to get one at all in canada Edited by Madmatt9797 (see edit history)