The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My Tein coilovers have literally turned to DUST

Guest Rab88

Guest Rab88

So, car is in for it's MOT and I get a phonecall with some bad news....

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/1341/img7290s.jpg

http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/4651/img7292s.jpg

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/2580/img7293s.jpg

There's literally nothing left of them. The fact they are still supporting the weight of the car is a miracle.

I've never seen anything like this before, and I didn't expect it from Tein. Anyone else had similar experience?

Guest Rab88

I don't live near the coast, no. Previous owner was from Edinburgh so who knows. Perhaps well-salted roads are the issue. The top of the coilovers look brand new.

The underside, although it doesn't look like it, is mostly surface corrosion. There's no clear delamination or loss of cross sectional area on any of the steel - only delamination of the walls of these! Rest of the underside could probably be ground down and sealed. We'll see how she turns out.

Edited by Rab88 (see edit history)

My ZEAL suspension is awaiting replacement for oxidisation of the collar rings (at the least) which is what you've got there. Ali parts are great for saving weight but don't last long (as they are built for racing really).

It's a bit scary when you can knock chunks off the parts holding the spring!! Needless to say the car is grounded till it's replaced.

Holy crap batman, that's some serious rust and corrosion, as already said, check your brakelines under the rear covers link here, they would not of checked it on the MOT as you see it without removing the casing

Assuming you drove it to MOT place, did you not have to brake, by the looks of the disks it hasn't moved before the pics were taken or maybe the caliper is seized

That is scary :(Is your car a UK because neither of my Supra's have looked like that underneath:blink:but they were both imports and undersealed when they came into the country.

As others have suggested if you are keeping this car then some remedial work on the underside should be done in the summer. I would also check :-

All the other suspension components for rust/wear.

I would put my money on the brake lines being corroded somewhere if your underside looks like this and probably the fuel tank cover.

Get the underside of the car de-rusted and undersealed before its too late (Slam needed some welding on his recently so they are starting to rust on the chassis). There are numerous classic car garages and businesses who would do this for you.

Good luck with replacing the shocks and fastenings and hopefully you can get the underneath sorted before the next winter comes along:thumbs: