The mkiv Supra Owners Club

MattP NA/T Build (Project Jeff)

MattP

So chaps the time has finally come to take the plunge and go for a NA/T build on my car seem as though its died a most glorious death recently I will update as we go with specs and work to be done etc so lets start at the beginning......

The Car

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?258647-My-Tiny-Project

Following getting the car home Various bits of mechanical work were carried out over the course of a few weeks and so on such as......

Mechanical Work Carried Out To Date

4 New SACHS Dampeners

Full Set of HKS Springs which came on the car unknown drop mm?

4 New Drop Links

4 Top Mounts

All Ignition Components IE: Full set of HT leads,Dizzy cap,Rotor arm,Iridium NGK plugs,Ignition coil

Cam Cover Gaskets

Low Mileage Autobox Fitted incuding auto sump filter

All solid Brake lines Replaced (excessive corrosion)

All fluids etc changed..Diff,Gearbox,Engine,Coolant+Flush Via the respected listed oils.

Momo Nero steering wheel + relevant Boss adapter fitted

4 new tyres fitted and balenced

Set of Goodridge braided lines fitted

Cleaned and Rebuilt all calipers with Chris Wilson seal kit

Full set of drilled and grooved discs + fresh pads fitted

HID Dipped beam kit

L.E.D number plate and sidelights

New wiper blades :/ haha if they count?

A few Cosmetic additions were also made..

Stripped Dash panels of rubber coating and sprayed satin black

All dials and guages changed to blue L.E.D

Interior carpet pulled out and dyed black

Wheels colour changed and orange stickers added

Sunstrip with TRD insignia added

ICE Install

Pioneer app radio 2 with Iphone 5 connectivity,GPS/Bluetooth etc..

Pioneer front Coaxials

Pioneer Rear Coaxials

10 inch edge Subwoofer boot mounted with matching Amp

So back to the car.....

How the car ended up shortly before death on one its last trips......

A Few Short Days Later.....

Edited by MattP (see edit history)

Strip and Build Begins................

Organising Parts that had been taken off between the garages and bag and tagging stuff before moving the car in to lift out the engine/gearbox

And Now Ready To Come Out All Disconnected Bar the 2 Engine Mounts

Edited by MattP (see edit history)

Any advice on Good quality NA/Turbo kits that wont require modification would be welcome so far my list for compatible kits are:

Whifbitz NA/T Kit £3980 ish If I remember correctly

Please list any other good quality kits...

I'd be looking at one of these personally!

http://www.treadstoneperformance.com/product.phtml?p=1865&cat_key=52&prodname=Lexus+IS300+Turbo+Manifold%2C+Supra+2JZ-GE

You'd have to fab a DP.. But the tread stone cast manifolds have a good reputation, and this one sits the turbo low enough that you do not have issues with the intake pipe clearing the dizzy or the 'Intercooler to Throttle body' IC pipe being too close to the turbo/exhaust housing. IMO running a cast manifold like this is preferable to a cheap tubular one that is likely to crack or to put a nice lump of welding slag through your turbo!

All you need now is a nice set of TT pistons & rods! :innocent:

The Whifbitz kit would be my choice also. It doesn't have any issues with clearing the stock dizzy and I also believe Paul supplies you with a drilled and tapped 2nd hand sump in exchange for yours which is good. The only other kit I would consider is the Boostlogic kit. I asked them about clearing the dizzy and they say it's fine. They also claim there are no issues with a RHD build and steering column issues so I think it may be a winner! Just need a test dummy to make sure it fits fine ;) Very good price as well. Only things is import tax etc and if something goes wrong, they are Stateside.

Will be watching this with interest as I'll be going Whifbitz or BL over the winter if I can't source my own kit. Good luck mate :)

Just a quick tip from when I did mine, once the engine was supported with the engine crane I unbolted the O/S engine mount as otherwise it was catching on the power steering rack and becoming a real PITA. Also you may need the front of the car up in the air at first to get the gearbox clear of the transmission tunnel and then drop the front right down to get the engine and gearbox clear of the front panel. They're not to difficult to remove at all. Good luck and looking forward to seeing pics :thumbs:

Just a quick tip from when I did mine, once the engine was supported with the engine crane I unbolted the O/S engine mount as otherwise it was catching on the power steering rack and becoming a real PITA. Also you may need the front of the car up in the air at first to get the gearbox clear of the transmission tunnel and then drop the front right down to get the engine and gearbox clear of the front panel. They're not to difficult to remove at all. Good luck and looking forward to seeing pics :thumbs:

I think I may just pull the autobox off first as I have no plan to re use it etc

Haha il be removing my chav stickers soon back to fully de badged.

Next step is to clean bits and pieces up I m debating whether to take both subrames out and replace all the bushs etc whilst im on

Also any point in removing the sound deadening from the firewall? as the bonnet came done?

Im going see Mr David P about a Hybrid box as soon as the engine is finished buddy I have not put much of a write up yet as its all pretty simple stripping at the minute and pictures are better at conveying the process at this point.

When the parts start arriving will be the fun point where I will list items used prices etc for future builds reference :)