The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Wheels kurbed-absoloutely gutted

Rich

pulling off a roundabout in a badly lit stretch of road and bang I scrape both my passenger side racing harts ,got a couple of quotes for refurbing the dish part of the rims,but not cheap because they are chromed.If anyone knows a good wheel refurbisher that can sort me out feel free to drop me a pm

thanks Richie

Sorry to hear that Richie, you must be well upset mate. :eek:

I think you'll find the rim part of the Racing Hart's is S/Steel I know mine are. Not sure if this is easy to refurb as I assume it must be done in a different way???

I stand ready to be corrected though. :)

Originally posted by Matt B

Sorry to hear that Richie, you must be well upset mate. :eek:

I think you'll find the rim part of the Racing Hart's is S/Steel I know mine are. Not sure if this is easy to refurb as I assume it must be done in a different way???

I stand ready to be corrected though. :)

i think you're right. i dont think mine are chrome either.

i'd be interested to hear how much you end up paying for the refurb

rang Gaz at Envy and he said that the dish part of the rim is chrome,I thought it was stainless steel too ,both front and back alloys have bad scuff marks on them.Trust me you dont want to go any where near a kurb with these rims they damage dead easy.They look well though,when there in one piece.:p

I got same prob with mine been looking for ages and ages everyone says they cant repair them which is a bit crap Slow Dogg Paul knows someone in Basingstoke....so I'll try them put not v hopefull...wouldn't have bought them If i'd known this also....some cleaning fluids off the shelf at Halfords will wreck them to they are a nightmare to look after.

Please Help us if anyone knows where we can get them repaired...I think Gaz should find a company that can repair them for us, he did suggest one to me but they couldn't repair them either.

:mad:

Guys,

The rim on the Racing Hart is aluminium (to keep the weight down)

It is then Chromed.

Its not polished stainless steel.

Hope that clears things up :)

If anyone damages a wheel we will offer a discounted replacement - PM me to discuss this.

There is very very few people that can offer this facility, chromers are a dying breed, and ones that do can rarely fit big wheel in the tanks.

Best Regards,

Gareth.

Originally posted by Gaz Walker

Guys,

The rim on the Racing Hart is aluminium (to keep the weight down)

It is then Chromed.

Its not polished stainless steel.

Hope that clears things up :)

If anyone damages a wheel we will offer a discounted replacement - PM me to discuss this.

There is very very few people that can offer this facility, chromers are a dying breed, and ones that do can rarely fit big wheel in the tanks.

Best Regards,

Gareth.

Gaz you offered me discount to replace one wheel it was £500 and that was for a front one...

This is totally crap mate if no-one can repair them then I guess there is no-point anyone buying them I need to replace all four because the chrome has worn away.

PEOPLE OF THE BBS DO NOT BUY THESE WHEELS UNTIL WE CAN FIND SOMEONE WHO CAN REPAIR THEM>>>OTHERWISE THEY REALLY ARE JUNK MINE LASTED 3 MONTHS BEFORE LAQUER CAME OFF.

""OTHERWISE THEY REALLY ARE JUNK MINE LASTED 3 MONTHS BEFORE LAQUER CAME OFF""

Simon I think you will find your experience's are very Isolated. We have sold 50+ sets off wheels and I have only every had one other complaint. That complaint was due to manufacture defect which Racing Hart replaced.

As much as I feel for your situation if you did not follow the manufactures cleaning advice, then what can you expect.

Be it Volk, Work, SSR, Racing Hart or any other make for that matter that uses a lackered polished surface or chrome surface you will have the same problem if you apply an aggresive cleaning agent.

This problem has been discussed many times on many different BBS and is the down side of owning this kind of wheel.

In terms of re-furb's they can be refurbished and that comes from someone who operated a wheel refurbishing business.

The problem you have is a lot of places won't wish to do them as they can prove to be more hassle than there worth. They would rather stick to doing the simple powder coated wheels which are "meat and drink" to them.

Feel free to call me on 01670 823333 and I will explain as I just don't have time to go into it in depth on here right now. I will also let you know the names of companies that will look into doing the job.

Thanks

Kevin

Thanks Kevin all Richie and myself are looking for is someone to repair them..I'm crap at looking after wheels....but these ones take the buscuit, you have to clean brake dust resedue off after every journy because these alloys dont like resedue one bit...the finish is far too sensitive...I use my car everyday... not blaming Envy...btw..but saying they are a sensitive product that needs constant reguler care more than any alloys Ive come across in the past, if you havent got time to be out their with a toothbrush everyday (ooopps no a toothbrush will scratch these soz) then dont get em!

More suited for Show Use/weekends Drivers.

EDITED to say I'm Extremely Lazy when it comes to cleaning wheels...and Riche and Gaz have pm'ed numbers of refubers that apparentley CAN reapair these...so will check em out..

Richie and me will no-doubt post up the finished result....so glimmer of hope.

richie, after we spoke on the phone i remembered this company . they have been recommended to me by quite a few people now, but i've never had dealings with them myself. they make wheels, so may b able to make some rims to fit [shrug] cant see it being cheap, but worth a mention i thought.\

good luck.

this is taken from that site, not much use to green peace, but maybe to others. it refers to polished rims but still applies.

Your wheels have highly polished inner and outer rims and possibly a polished centre. The polished areas will need extra care and cleaning to maintain this finish. The polished areas should be regularly cleaned with hot soapy water and if any signs of oxidization are visible the polished areas should be cleaned with solvo autosol, available at most good car accessory shops. Our image wheel protector spray will greatly help stop brake dust / grime from attacking the polished surface, and during winter months when road salt is being used we strongly recommend that your wheels are heavily coated with image wheel protector as the chemicals in road salt are very corrosive. If your car is garaged for long periods again we recommend coating your wheels with image wheel protector. If you have purchased your wheels through a third party please ask them for the fitting and maintenance sheet and your complimentary can of image wheel protector.

Never use alloy wheel cleaner it will stain and damage your rims and attack the coating on the perimeter bolts.

Please advise your valeter.

About 18 months ago I was looking around to try and get all four wheels re chromed on a full chrome set, i.e. outer rim, spokes and centre caps. The only place that would offer any GT on the re-chrome wanted to send the wheels to Germany as they said no chromers in the UK were capable of doing the job to a high enough standard for UK winter roads i.e. salt. They wanted £1400 + vat for the job. Saw some samples on a Fezza and a Lambo and they were top notch wheels.

As Gaz said UK chromers with baths big enough for18"+ wheels are very rare.

I thought the one of the advantages of getting big three piece wheels was easy swapping of rim of they got buggered.

Has anyone managed to do this without six months of hassle with out buying spare rim as part of the original sale.