The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Full BPU vs Single Turbo!!

jjs_82

Hi all,

I'm planning on going single turbo around 600bhp, and i was just wondering has anyone went from a full bpu supra to a single and didn't like it??. Are they harder to run and maintain? and what is the response like on the single? Just wanted to know has anyone went single and regreted it?? I want to know what im getting myself in to before i take the plunge!!

Thanks John.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I gradually changed from twins up to single. Car has recently been mapped by Ryan G at 500 bhp. I love the car, but it was at its best just before I took away the first cat and changed to a big single turbo. Perfomance was not down that much and things spooled up sooner. Car was a quieter place to be as well.

Since the full map I have not floored it. Two thirds throttle in a straight line is enough to make the hedgerow go fuzzy.

Perhaps I am a scaredy cat, but 500 bhp is more than enough for me and I have driven high performance cars legally above the speed limit throughout the uk and have been professionally trained.

Think long and hard before you commit to what will probably be a years salary to achieve this!

can only give my personal opinion but I did mine myself after I blew a headgasket when full bpu and I can honestly say its been great fun tinkering with it to get it running. What I am noticing is that there appears to be no end to the 'little things' that need done. The biggest problem for me driving my car now its singled is that it shows the cars weaknesses, the brakes are not upto it, the handling is strained shall we say and things are still looking a little 'ghetto' under the bonnet in places haha.

I would definately recommend it though, third in the auto pulls from 3k all the way to redline and just never stops, it goes to OD and pulls nearly as hard, its certainly a good laugh but I dont know if I could live with it everyday.

Maybe worth trying to go to a meet and go for a few different passenger rides to see how you feel about different setups.

If going single I'd stick to a small quick spooling turbo something like a precision 6262 of a garrett gt35. Both will be very responsive and easily make 550-600bhp.

The salary is here ready to go i have been saving for it im thinking about putting 10k - 12k into it and doing all the fitting myself and hopefully ryan g for the mapping. I had a really bad experience with my previous car with a "tuner" although it wasn't a supra. What are they like on fuel off boost, im going to be using 1000cc injectors. How much does the mpg change when you go single?

Maybe worth trying to go to a meet and go for a few different passenger rides to see how you feel about different setups.

If going single I'd stick to a small quick spooling turbo something like a precision 6262 of a garrett gt35. Both will be very responsive and easily make 550-600bhp.

Going to go with the whifbitz s362 single kit so i think that should be ok, from what i have read about it.

Not many singles about ireland to get runs in unfortuntally.

The salary is here ready to go i have been saving for it im thinking about putting 10k - 12k into it and doing all the fitting myself and hopefully ryan g for the mapping. I had a really bad experience with my previous car with a "tuner" although it wasn't a supra. What are they like on fuel off boost, im going to be using 1000cc injectors. How much does the mpg change when you go single?

If you are using the car to its full capability expect somewhere in the region of 8 mpg. I reckon mine now costs 50p per mile. Odo is my fuel gauge.

They are not cheap and I am not a mechanic. With everything that has been done to my car the bill has been in the region of £25k, but I stopped counting and will often say to people that I am pot committed. If you play poker you will know that phrase?

I love the car, but understand it has cost an arm and a leg and still needs a further£4k spent on paint and interior stuff.

Then if I want to up the power another £4k on engine upgrades. My engine and gearbox is still stock.

Good luck, but whatever you think it will cost. Double it and then add some more and you might be somewhere near things!

What will be the full spec of the car?

This i have already Blitz Nurspec catback with 1st and 2nd De-cats. Greddy front mount inter cooler. Trust oil cooler. Fidanza lightened flywheel. Whifbitz braided fuel hose to remove pulsation damper. Blitz oil pressure gauge. HKS dump valve. Blitz SBC (Sequential boost controller). Apexi pillar mounted gauges (boost and temp Apexi turbo timer. Spec clutch kit. HKS twin power High performance ingintion system Type DLI.

This is what i will be getting

Garage Whifbitz S362 66mm twin wastegate twin scroll single turbo kit

Fuel rail kit with 1000cc injectors

Fuel pressure regulator

Bosch 044 pump

BC cams 264 and Valve Spring & Retainer (these are the 2jz-ge cams from a is300 so i can have the VVTI) Or HKS not sure yet

Adjustable Cam pullys

Syvecs S6GP

The number of people who state BPU+ was the best time they had in Supra ownership has made me think about not taking the car much further and BPU should be enough for me.

Aye im kind of worried about the same thing, love the car the way it is, but i want more power but dont want to be having a headache either

The number of people who state BPU+ was the best time they had in Supra ownership has made me think about not taking the car much further and BPU should be enough for me.

Thats prob true. BPU is great fun and reliable. Singles are great fun and nothing compares to the kick you get out of them but when they go wrong its £££ all the way to fix it.

If you are using the car to its full capability expect somewhere in the region of 8 mpg. I reckon mine now costs 50p per mile. Odo is my fuel gauge.

They are not cheap and I am not a mechanic. With everything that has been done to my car the bill has been in the region of £25k, but I stopped counting and will often say to people that I am pot committed. If you play poker you will know that phrase?

I love the car, but understand it has cost an arm and a leg and still needs a further£4k spent on paint and interior stuff.

Then if I want to up the power another £4k on engine upgrades. My engine and gearbox is still stock.

Good luck, but whatever you think it will cost. Double it and then add some more and you might be somewhere near things!

I understand what you mean, i hope you dont mind me asking but did you get alot of work done by someone as i heard the labour can be the biggest killer in it or did you do it yourself?? it's just im doing nearly all the work myself so hoping that cuts the cost alot for me.

I understand what you mean, i hope you dont mind me asking but did you get alot of work done by someone as i heard the labour can be the biggest killer in it or did you do it yourself?? it's just im doing nearly all the work myself so hoping that cuts the cost alot for me.

All of the work was done by people for me. I sourced the parts and they fitted. Finding reliable people to complete the work is the issue. I know JCBT on here has had the majority of his work completed by Whifbitz, who has done a great job on the car.

My work all had to be rectified by Lee P at SRD as the car was not safe. Ryan G finished it off.

Another of my standing jokes is " every time I lift the bonnet it costs me a grand" which unfortunately is not too far from the truth!

Aye im kind of worried about the same thing, love the car the way it is, but i want more power but dont want to be having a headache either

I don't think you can have both unless you are very lucky and install the best parts and have a decent mapper. The costs of some singles have made my hair stand on end and I haven't got much these days.

Thats prob true. BPU is great fun and reliable. Singles are great fun and nothing compares to the kick you get out of them but when they go wrong its £££ all the way to fix it.

It's the number of £££ v's a second or so quicker that I can't understand.

There has to be a point where it is just not financially viable unless you are loaded and hell bent on gaining a tiny amount of acceleration. I can't think of anyone like that..!!

H.

I don't think you can have both unless you are very lucky and install the best parts and have a decent mapper. The costs of some singles have made my hair stand on end and I haven't got much these days.

It's the number of £££ v's a second or so quicker that I can't understand.

There has to be a point where it is just not financially viable unless you are loaded and hell bent on gaining a tiny amount of acceleration. I can't think of anyone like that..!!

H.

Its the difference in feeling. BPU feels quick but nothing prepairs you for the insanity of 700 bhp thowing you down the road.

^ that, but it is scarey and to be honest BPU is more than enough for road use!

Disagree, i ran 600 odd at the hubs on the road and never had one problem. Ifits poorly setup then I agreecan be scary but with correct geo and a LSD perfectly manageable.

thing is no-one has asked his final goal. Going single doesn't mean a huge lag monster. he might only want low 500's which is a totally different thing to a 750bhp-1000bhp single.

I've been out in a few and put a couple together now for people and i like the feel of a single supra over a TT personally. you don't get that 0.8bar until 4k then 1.2bar kick. Its alot more progressive and i find if you using a small turbocharger like a GT30 variant or GT3582 like someone else suggested if selected right actually feels faster and more responsive than the TT, plus its more liner without that big kick at 4k.

This is what I'm planning to build for my own personal supra. a small GT3582r designed for response and the 500bhp range.

remember if you build this correctly going from a car that's full BPU (i consider decent ecu control part of full BPU) your only a turbo kit and injector increase away from the goal anyway. As the cooling, breathing etc side of the engine is done for BPU. Plus engine internals people are running them stock into the 700's so again small single should be still just as reliable as TT

Tim