The mkiv Supra Owners Club

V161 query - what models?

James

I've always been under the impression that the V161 was the gearbox which featured in the facelift SZ-R, VVTi RZ and VVTi RZ-S models

However, when I posted a thread relating to my new car on the U.S. Supraforums, a couple of the guys on there are suggesting that the V161 was only present in the facelift SZ-R, with a revised casing V160 being the model used in the RZ/RZ-S until 2002.

Recently it's come to light that the only Supras to get V161's were the SZ-R's.

Factory RZ's and other late model 6-spd's still had the V160, but it used the upgraded later center casing so externally it could be mistaken for a V161. This was known to be true for US & Export spec TT Supras for some time, but apparently it is also true of JDM RZ's and RZ-S's all the way up through 2002.

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?694032-fits-the-4-gear-from-v161-into-160

I've yet to find Curt wrong about any Toyota part option in any market, ever, so I'll happily accept his word as gospel. If this VVTi RZ happens to have a V161, though, it'd be an interesting data point.

The guy, Curt, mentioned above provided the following to back-up his statement:

JZA80-ALFSF 05/1996 - 07/2002 JZA80 [ SZR ] JPN LB 2JZGE TWC MTM 6F V161

JZA80-ALFQZ 05/1993 - 07/2002 JZA80 [RZ] JPN LB 2JZGTE TWT MTM 6F V160

JZA80-ALFVZ 05/1995 - 07/2002 JZA80 [ RZS ]JPN LB 2JZGTE TWT MTM 6F V160

What I'm wondering, be it from VIN plates or proof otherwise, is if anyone can challenge this statement that the guys Stateside are suggesting?

Mine is a RZ TT 1993 j-spec import and has the V161

A 1993 with a V161? Pretty sure it only came with facelifts, you checked the VIN?

James the gearstick throw & height is different between the two boxes so even if the casing was different this would still be the same.

Like you I would have thought everything passed 1998 was a v161.

Mine is a RZ TT 1993 j-spec import and has the V161

Either you are wrong or it's been retrofitted, the v161 wasn't made until 97.

James I think I have the v160. (will go check)

Whats the difference in diffs?

The v161 equiped cars had the smaller diff casing and a slightly smaller and lower ratio crown wheel, but still an LSD as standard. Only the v160 cars had the big diff casing. The smaller diff is the weaker of the two, though the v161 claims to have a stronger 3rd gear syncro.

I've always been under the impression that the V161 was the gearbox which featured in the facelift SZ-R, VVTi RZ and VVTi RZ-S models

However, when I posted a thread relating to my new car on the U.S. Supraforums, a couple of the guys on there are suggesting that the V161 was only present in the facelift SZ-R, with a revised casing V160 being the model used in the RZ/RZ-S until 2002.

The guy, Curt, mentioned above provided the following to back-up his statement:

What I'm wondering, be it from VIN plates or proof otherwise, is if anyone can challenge this statement that the guys Stateside are suggesting?

I am the person (360rwkw is my name on that forum) who is having the discussion on the USA forum with Curt and I have posted a couple of more posts on that thread to prove to him that the V161 was the gearbox which featured in the facelift SZ-R, VVTi RZ and VVTi RZ-S models.

If someone can post a pic of their VIN plate (engine tag) showing the V161 in an RZ or RZ-S, that would be proof he could not argue against. :)

Just found one:

Edited by V8KILR (see edit history)

Thanks for the replies everyone - this is all information that I was aware of and believed to be the case. As far as even the V161 having purple paint on the top whereas the V160 had blue.

I was simply looking for some proof of the V161 being present within the RZ/RZ-S so that I could let the U.S. guys know :)

A 1993 with a V161? Pretty sure it only came with facelifts, you checked the VIN?

James the gearstick throw & height is different between the two boxes so even if the casing was different this would still be the same.

Like you I would have thought everything passed 1998 was a v161.

Yep it definetly a V161 although I checked the vin today and it say V160 so must have been swapped out at sum stage while in Japan. What is the deferents if any between the two?

Yep it definetly a V161 although I checked the vin today and it say V160 so must have been swapped out at sum stage while in Japan. What is the deferents if any between the two?

Visually, the casing is different from the early V160 and the V161. The ratios are different between the two boxes:

6 Speed (V160) / (V161)

1 3.827 / 3.724

2 2.360 / 2.246

3 1.685 / 1.541

4 1.312 / 1.205

5 1.000 / 1.000

6 0.793 / 0.818

rev 3.280 / 3.192

Also, the V161 sits slightly higher than the V160.

The V161 wasn't introduced until the facelift models so your V161 will be a retrofit being that it is in a 1993 :)

Visually, the casing is different from the early V160 and the V161. The ratios are different between the two boxes:

6 Speed (V160) / (V161)

1 3.827 / 3.724

2 2.360 / 2.246

3 1.685 / 1.541

4 1.312 / 1.205

5 1.000 / 1.000

6 0.793 / 0.818

rev 3.280 / 3.192

Also, the V161 sits slightly higher than the V160.

The V161 wasn't introduced until the facelift models so your V161 will be a retrofit being that it is in a 1993 :)

Hmm interesting. Apart from the gearbox being knackerd what would be the other reason for retro fitting this box?

Hmm interesting. Apart from the gearbox being knackerd what would be the other reason for retro fitting this box?

As you get higher top speeds in the first 4 gears, it may have been swapped out for drag/track purposes (just as diffs are swapped sometimes). :)

What James mentioned, plus the gear ratio's are better balanced, they are more equally spaced so it's smoother to drive, especially when moving from 4th to 5th.