The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Rear wheel coilover clearance?

Kaan W

Is there a minimum recommended clearance from the rear wheel to the spring and does this gap decrease when suspension compresses? Im just tryng to figure out how much wider I can go with my tires but I dont want them to scrub the spring over bumps etc.

Thanks in advance..

Being a double wishbone setup, it should not move closer to the strut under compression, the whole idea of double wishbone is to avoid inducible camber upon loading.

As long as there was sufficient clearance (10mm or so) I wouldn't worry too much

Ah ok I see, thanks for your help.

Also in this picture the coilover angles out towards the bottom so how much extra width would you say I can go with a different wheel?

attachment.php?attachmentid=169984&stc=1&d=1369308872

DSC_7665.jpg

You've got another inch or two back spacing by that photo by the looks of it

Yeah I was trying to work out that if it was a 15" wheel where the inner lip would come into contact with the spring. I guess its trial an error unless theres an accurate way of working it out.

With the arches I have bonded on I can fit a maximum of 28" tall tires with some slight work underneith and lifting the car right up which allows me to fit a 325 tire which is more than good enough. But for the street I want the widest 26" tall tire I can find on an 18" wheel but I cant seem to find anything wide enough to not use spacers.

have a set made in the states , then you could have what you want .

Its not the wheels its the tires mate. I'll probably go with a 345/35/18 and stick with the wheels I have with a smaller spacer. I didnt really want a spacer or hidden wheels either....

Its not the wheels its the tires mate. I'll probably go with a 345/35/18 and stick with the wheels I have with a smaller spacer. I didnt really want a spacer or hidden wheels either....

its not the wheels it the tyres , the tyre's go on the wheels Kaan, you got to get the right wheels so the tyres will go where you need them to be . you dont do a back space on a tyre ,

its not the wheels it the tyres , the tyre's go on the wheels Kaan, you got to get the right wheels so the tyres will go where you need them to be . you dont do a back space on a tyre ,

Ok thanks, I was thinking if I workout the back spacing to allow the wheel to sit just next to the spring then a fat tire will rub the spring so I need to work out how much extra the tire bulges out to get the correct back spacing for the wheel. I think I will need spacers no matter what to fill the arches so it should be fine.