The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New member new to Supras

Guest suprachris91

Guest suprachris91

Hi all my name is Chris P from West Midlands 22 , haven't got a supra yet but now looking for one :) wanted one since I was little and now insurance prices are cheap ish I thought I'd get myself on the forum , I'm currently driving a 05 civic ep2 sport which I love but Supras are calling me haha this is my civic

Has a few mods such as eibach coilovers and camber arms , accord type r recaros , cat back system which will be sold separate so I have some mod money for supra :)

I've decided to go for a N/A manual supra as it will be used almost everyday but will be a TT conversion in the future so will be working on the looks and making my supra mint plus power doesn't really bother me just looks and the way it sounds :) not sure exactly when I'll be getting a supra as I'm going to look for a low milage one but will have around 6k to play with any advice and tips will be great plus a question is it possible to put a TT inlet manifold on a non turbo ?

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

6k is a great budget if you are looking at starting with an NA. At that price, I'd be looking for a facelift SZ-R, they have the 6 speed manual transmission, which will make a lot of sense to have if you wish to TT swap down the line.

Guest suprachris91
Welcome mate.

I would say buy a nice clean 6 speed NA as a good base if you want a manual and hold off any engine mods. You wont get a huge power gain so save the cash for the future TT swap and get the car running sweet.

Didn't realise you could get a 6speed NA haha will keep a look out and yes will save for a TT conversion but will do mods like exhaust and filter anyway :)

Guest suprachris91
Hi and welcome to the forum :)

6k is a great budget if you are looking at starting with an NA. At that price, I'd be looking for a facelift SZ-R, they have the 6 speed manual transmission, which will make a lot of sense to have if you wish to TT swap down the line.

I'm defiantly going to keep a look out for a SZ-R then didn't realise they existed till now haha how hard are they to find ?

I'm defiantly going to keep a look out for a SZ-R then didn't realise they existed till now haha how hard are they to find ?

The SZ-R is a bit rarer than the SZ. Keep in mind though that the pre-facelift (93-96) SZ-R was also a W58 speed in manual form, NOT a 6 speed. The NA6 only happened in facelift guise. :thumbs:

Guest suprachris91

Cheers mate will try get my hands on one :D looking forward to getting a supra now but will wait for the perfect supra so I can keep it for a long time , the noise is one of the main reasons I love Supras plus the shape but a TRD spoiler will be one of the first mods I do I think :p

Guest suprachris91
The SZ-R is a bit rarer than the SZ. Keep in mind though that the pre-facelift (93-96) SZ-R was also a W58 speed in manual form, NOT a 6 speed. The NA6 only happened in facelift guise. :thumbs:

Will keep that in mind cheers mate always preferred to have a facelift I'm just glad 6k is enough to get a good one :D

Guest suprachris91
All sounds good to me Chris :thumbs:

I'd recommend just sourcing a K&N panel filter for the stock airbox as far as your want for a filter goes. They seem to give the best results :)

Cheers for the advice mate I will do that :) thinking of putting my recaro seats from civic to the supra when I get it what rails would I need ?

Guest suprachris91
have a read in the insurance section mate, few companies to try, although a few don't cover imports under 25.

I would try Sky, Graham Sykes, LWIB for starters.

Cheers mate will look now been quoted 1k by elephant which is good but if I wait a month ill have another years ncb so might be worth the wait ?

Cheers for the advice mate I will do that :) thinking of putting my recaro seats from civic to the supra when I get it what rails would I need ?

The Recaros will certainly go in! The only problem with ATR Recaros (if I remember correctly!) is that they do not swing forward, which isn't too handy for getting to the back of the Supra :) You would need Bride RO seat rails to get them to fit. :)

Guest suprachris91
:welcome: hopefully you will find something soon

Cheers mate :) my goal is to get one before July so I have something to enjoy bait of summer and can work on during autumn winter :D

Guest suprachris91
The Recaros will certainly go in! The only problem with ATR Recaros (if I remember correctly!) is that they do not swing forward, which isn't too handy for getting to the back of the Supra :) You would need Bride RO seat rails to get them to fit. :)

Yer that's the problem I have with them ATM :( could always try get some DC5 seats in black might go well with a supra :p interior is a big thing to me so will be one of the first things I do

Welcome. Nice budget you have as already mentioned that'll get you a nice facelift SZ-R or you could get yourself a really nice auto TT for that budget. I myself prefer a manual box but the auto box is very highly rated. Would be worth test driving one before you decide whether or not its for you.

I know you said your not into power but most say that including myself. It won't be long till you'll be craving more power.

Good luck with your search :)

Guest suprachris91
Do a few quotes with the extra NCB mate and see what the difference is.

£200 difference so I think I'll wait and hope that supra don't sell haha but if it does I don't mind waiting for the right one to come up for sale , on the TT there's a front splitter that I don't think comes on the NA is it possible to buy one ?

Guest suprachris91
Welcome. Nice budget you have as already mentioned that'll get you a nice facelift SZ-R or you could get yourself a really nice auto TT for that budget. I myself prefer a manual box but the auto box is very highly rated. Would be worth test driving one before you decide whether or not its for you.

I know you said your not into power but most say that including myself. It won't be long till you'll be craving more power.

Good luck with your search :)

Cheers mate and thanks for the advice will need to have a go in a TT if anyone is from the west mids :p but insurance might be abit high ATM plus if I get a SZ-R I'd defiantly do a conversion in the future :D so will be worth the wait I'm sure plus will give me time to make the exterior and interior perfect then start the engine work :p

I waited 4 years to buy a Supra mate, plenty come up for decent money, as already said £6k should get you a minty mint NA or a very tidy TT auto. I would buy a decent NA for £4kish then save the rest for a decent TT conversion.

OR....

Buy and NA and a TT engine, drive the NA for a few years while slowly rebuilding the TT lump then drop it in. Perfect solution. ;)

Have you got any quotes for an import TT yet? i found there wasnt much difference to be honest, fuel is pretty much the same until you really go for a hoon in the TT.

My TT was my daily driver doing 160 miles a week on about £50 with mixed driving, which was only a few guide more than my Leon Cupra R used to do! obviously if you have a heavy foot you will need shares in the local Shell station.

Also be aware that these cars are getting on a bit now and its not a case of IF work needs doing, but WHEN. Most parts easily available from breakers on here etc but some parts are still very expensive such as £700 for replacement suspension arms from Toyota.

Dont let that put you off, they are bullet proof engines, usual Japanese build quality and reliability so take your time have a good hunt around and get a nice one. :)

Edited by TubbyTwo (see edit history)