The mkiv Supra Owners Club

sloped drive engine removal

ashbuster

has anyone here done an engine removal and refit on a sloped drive?

im just wondering if it was too much of a hassle ? also wondering if its best pointing the car down the slope or up the slope?

thats if its even worth trying. its not that much of a slope only slightly to help drain the rain water but with a heavy engine on a crane i just thought its worth asking first

if it rolls downhill its not so bad it will hit the wall lol :) how heavy are these engines?

would this one have a long enough reach to be able to get it out easy enough?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-Ton-Folding-Hydraulic-Engine-Crane-Hoist-Lift-/171034843211?pt=UK_Lifting_Moving_Equipment&hash=item27d278984b

when the engine is on will the weight make it want to quickly roll?

Edited by ashbuster (see edit history)

I have done an engine swap on a sloped drive before. We dropped the engine to the floor on 2 jacks then got it sat on the floor with blocks to hold it steady...then lifted the front of the car up and slid the engine out on the old carpet we had underneath.

On a serious note lifting engines can be dangerous if the area isn't fit for purpose. I'd roll it out onto the road and drop the engine there if it's a possibility.

I have done an engine swap on a sloped drive before. We dropped the engine to the floor on 2 jacks then got it sat on the floor with blocks to hold it steady...then lifted the front of the car up and slid the engine out on the old carpet we had underneath.

On a serious note lifting engines can be dangerous if the area isn't fit for purpose. I'd roll it out onto the road and drop the engine there if it's a possibility.

Would also save your nice new paint ;)

ill try and get some photos of the drive tomorrow so you guys can see if its too much of a slope and would cause hassle

i thought it would have been heavy that that , good to know mate when looking for a stand :)

i imagine it would be a right pain taking it from underneath :( would much rather take it from above if possible

if it rolls downhill its not so bad it will hit the wall lol :) how heavy are these engines?

would this one have a long enough reach to be able to get it out easy enough?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-Ton-Folding-Hydraulic-Engine-Crane-Hoist-Lift-/171034843211?pt=UK_Lifting_Moving_Equipment&hash=item27d278984b

when the engine is on will the weight make it want to quickly roll?

That crane is the same as mine. Had to remove the front bumper to get it over the engine properly. But it lifted it no problems

Done it loads of times on my drive and it's pretty steep, I hate doing it on a slope but it can be done fine. Will see if I can find a photo. I do it with the car front at the top, the only real pain is pulling the engine and crane uphill if its a heavy one.

Edited by Shane (see edit history)

That crane is the same as mine. Had to remove the front bumper to get it over the engine properly. But it lifted it no problems

did it lift it over easy enough mate with enough clearence?

from what ive seen you guys seem to be doing it with the front pointing up hill ? any reason for this?

doesnt look too steep bud but like a few have said, just be careful and test the area if possible. with the engine and box on the crane it souldnt move to easily but def chock before lifting is a great idea.

to save paintwork get some towels or old jumpers on the front as you lift out and try to get the angle as steep as possible with the box down and get a mate to guide the box up and over. i did it on my own and i am useless... but i was on a flat ;)

nice one mate :) . im not in walsall now im in gloucestershire and i have a friend coming from wales to help. ill start getting parts ready

is this a regular stock headgasket kit?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-SUPRA-TURBO-3-0-24V-2JZGTE-93-98-HEAD-GASKET-SET-/120381787647?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Model%3ASupra&hash=item1c07504dff

im looking for around 600bhp would this be fine or am i best getting a different headgasket?

did it lift it over easy enough mate with enough clearence?

from what ive seen you guys seem to be doing it with the front pointing up hill ? any reason for this?

I had mine on 4 axel stands I just needed to lift the back of the box a bit to get it over. Not sure what box you have but mine is the V161 manual. I'm sure the auto box is bigger but it's not much of a problem to leave the box in the car as long as you support it with a jack or transmission jack.