The mkiv Supra Owners Club

M3 gearbox

berg

Planning na-t very soon and been looking into gearbox options as id like to run a bit more power than the w58 will let me

R154 is getting pricey and seems fairly rare these days

Ive seen an adaptor plate on ebay and he says it allows a e36 m3 box to bolt to the 2jz and he states the m3 clutch and flywheel bolt straight on the 2jz engine aswell.

Has anyone done this before or is it all a load of..b?

Can't comment on the e36 but the e46 m3 gearbox is also even made by getrag. The horsepower freaks in the states are running crazy power through the standard box. Very very strong gearbox, like the supra.

Gives the car the same agricultural gearchange as the TT. Could be a very good option for the TT conversions as e46 m3 boxes sell for around 600 euro over here.

Edited by nige-rz (see edit history)

I actually messaged the seller on eBay as I was looking into having it done. But after adding it all up it came out to the same price as an r154 so I decided against it and went for the r154.

For the m3 conversion you'll need:

The gear links.

A custom prop

gearbox

plate

gear box Mount

gear link mount

Slave cylinder

bearing

Clutch

flywheel

When you look into it comes to at least£1500 not worth it in my opinion. I'd rather go for the r154. The clutch options also seemed quite limited when compared to the r154.

The gearbox prices seemed the same price as the r154. You can pick up an r154 for £300-400 with the 1jz bellhousing.

With that much work i think r154 would still be best option then cheers for the info

A r154 would need the soarer or chaser bell housing as the mk3 supra bellhousing wont fit the 2jz is that right?

Ill start the hunt and hopefully find a full conversion somewhere

With that much work i think r154 would still be best option then cheers for the info

A r154 would need the soarer or chaser bell housing as the mk3 supra bellhousing wont fit the 2jz is that right?

Ill start the hunt and hopefully find a full conversion somewhere

That's right if you get an r154 from a late soarer or chaser not only you have the correct bellhousing but it'll also have the remote shifter so there's no need to modify or extend the shifter.

Make sure whatever box you buy that it comes with the front part of the prop as they're usually hard to come by.

I'm about to the the conversion to and have been collecting parts just need a few more. So if you have any questions feel free to ask :)

What power can a R154 safely hold?

I will be running thicker HG and fuel system from the get go, not sure how much boost that will allow me to run on a T61 and how much power it will give but im gonna read through the NA-T threads shortly

What power can a R154 safely hold?

I will be running thicker HG and fuel system from the get go, not sure how much boost that will allow me to run on a T61 and how much power it will give but im gonna read through the NA-T threads shortly

I've read a lot of different suggestions as to how much torque the r154 can take. According to threads on the mk3 supra forum it's about 650 lb/ft torque.

Also what headgasket are you thinking of going with?

Which would make the £1500 cost very good value considering there's no power limitations, like doing a v160/161 conversion which costs an awful lot more.

By the time you've sorted a bell housing adapter and a custom prop, I doubt there'll be any financial advantage.

However, if you could get the 6 speed box from an Audi S2 working that may be a good alternative. The later ones are tough, and they're available for £300.