The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Puncture on a nearly new tyre, can I repair and use it safely?

tomgeer

Hi all,

I decided to take my supra to work this morning and managed to pick up a puncture on the way home :(

My question is can I get the tyre repaired and still use the car at high speeds (should I want to :innocent:)?

It looks like it has had a nail in the tread, the side walls are fine, its an 18" avon zz3.

If there is any doubt I think i'll just get a new tyre but it's a shame as it is pretty much as new condition.

Cheers

Tom

You may find that some tyre dealers / repairers will not repair a tyre, when the hole is close to the edge of the tread. This is basically because the (mushroom shaped) plug they use to repair it will not sit level inside the tyre, so could therefore fail.

Other than that, if your puncture is nowhere near the edge, it is a very simple, and safe repair job.

- - - Updated - - -

It will need to repaired with a plug patch like these and can't be too close

to the edge of the tyre

Beat me to it!