The mkiv Supra Owners Club

AA flatbed 30 mins after buying Supe

Guest gtirpad

Guest gtirpad

Evening everyone,

Yesterday I became the 'owner' of a '93 N/A SZ, p/xd for something french and nasty. Thought I was onto a winner as it is a manual, only 60K and the body is very clean. 30 mins down the M4 and I was ringing the AA.. :(

I already knew that the rear wheel bearings were knackered, however, 2 other faults which became apparent very quickly made me want to stop driving it there and then...

First, on lift off or acceleration there is a loud knocking sound from underneath, and I mean loud. I thought it was the exhaust at the time but it looks pretty secure. I reckon its drivetrain related because if you declutch and coast rather than lift off, the sound doesnt come. I had a look underneath today and the prop is still in place and cant see any evidence of any mounts coming away. It has a std diff btw. Any ideas?

Second, at very low speeds and very light braking the ABS cuts in when it really shouldnt... please can anyone shed any light on this?

Needless to say, I am a little miffed but before you kind people offer your sympathy I should tell you that I am a part time trader so please feel free to abuse me ;) I should know better....

As the AA man said - "it looks nice though" :)

Any suggestions greatfully received...

Pad

Guest gtirpad

yeah, really I am being a little unfair calling it nasty - at least it got me to my destination...

Thought I was on safe ground having had a couple of imports before...

Guest gtirpad

To be fair, the car only stands me up £4700 so I am willing to put some money into it to get it right. The car that I p/xed it for, although immaculate was just not shifting, so something had to be done to move on. If I end up keeping it for a bit, not bothered, as it is a beautiful thing to look at!!

Guest gtirpad
Originally posted by Terminator

Could be the diff:eek:

This was my initial thought, but I could drive it on and off the flatbed. I would have thought that you wouldnt get any drive at all if the diff went?

Cheers,

Pad

Guest gtirpad

Thanks Terminator, I hope someone can shed some light on it. Will be seeking professional advice during the week, was just hoping to get a heads up..

Cheers

Pad

Guest gtirpad

I have a mate with a ramp so will probably do that - couldnt really get a good grip around the prop today as the bloody thing is so low. :)

Cheers for the encouragement and I will keep you informed.

Pad

Originally posted by gtirpad

not bothered, as it is a beautiful thing to look at!!

Was some funny things reading that mate, you had me chuckling, and I dont mean that in a way against you, just your humour.... ;)

Sorry to hear of the bad news, and hope it turns out to be something easy to fix, as they are nice cars, if even just to look at. :innocent: :cool:

Guest gtirpad

lol, cheers Ashley.... you have to laugh about these things. :innocent:

Didnt you come to one of my Sussex jap meets last year? Name rings a bell....

Cheers,

Pad