The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Looked at a TT today (queries!)

Tom

I went to see a TT today and I have some queries that I hope you can help with, before I go any further I very much dought I'll buy the car from the findings I found today!

Anyway,

Bodywork seemed ok, it has the OEM kit but the spats are slighlty peeling from the body, no signs of rust anywhere and the paint looked ok.

Engine wise, nothing to report, it had an hks filter, hks bov and a strut brace, oil looked fine and there were no strange noises on tick over.

Interior, the handbrake and gear knob were extremely worn, and the steering wheel had been replaced, maybe another sign of trying to hide it's true mileage. It is ment to have 60k miles but it seemed like more by the condition of these items.

The test drive, this is what I'm slightly puzzled by, it definately had both cats in as there was no sudden kick when the second turbo came online, but the change over to the second turbo was extremely hessitant, I didn't actually get to take it to the redline as it kept doing it! and it didnt feel quick! I floored it from 2nd from 40 and it was very juddery.

When we got back from the test drive I noticed how loose the gearbox was in neutral(is this common?) and while driving I really struggled to get 3rd gear! probably just me though as I've done it in other supes I actually put it in to 1st instead of 3rd once!

Also once parked up there was a lot of steam coming from the engine bay, I think it was coming off from the turbo housing, what could this be???

The car was a fresh import that only came in yesterday and was said to be either a grade 3.75 or 4. I dought it was a 4!

It had the hatch rattle which was very loud so I'm thinking if this guy in Japan hadn't done anything about it then Im pretty sure it hasn't been looked after properly.

It seemed a good price but I dont think so now!

If you could help with my queries that'l be great!

Thanks

Tom.

If it was me looking at buying that car then I'd walk away. Just too many things that are out of line.

What colour was the smoke? And do you know exactly where abouts it was coming from? ie. did you pop the bonnet and take a look? If it looked like steam it could be a cracked radiator.... if it looked blue then it could be something burning :eek:

If it was thick white then could be blown turbo.

Have you driven other Supra TT's before? If not then test drive at least 2 or 3 to give you a good idea how the turbos feel and how they 'kick in'. You should notice turbo 1 coming in at 2200-2500rpm area and turbo two coming in at 4000rpm area. It will vary depending how hard you accelerate and also what gear you are in to the severity of the 'kick'.

The acceleration should never be juddery unless you are ripping the tyres up and leaving 'darkies' in your wake ! :p

Hope you find one soon coz you been waiting for ages!

Yeah the guy popped the bonnet and it did look like it was from the turbo housing, it was just a steam like from burning water.

And yep, thats probably the 5th or 6th TT If driven! the nicest still was the one from JIC, the way the turbo's spooled on this one were completley different, the one from JIC was sooo smooth! just like others I've been a passenger in too.

It's probably because it was on faily stock boost but It really didnt feel fast, prehaps it's because Im comparing it to bpu supes I've been in? I have read that people say it's a completely different animal once its bpu.

Im still glad I went today though as I've got a bit more experince now of what to look for, just trying to find out what these problems were!

Originally posted by TDRAPER

The test drive, this is what I'm slightly puzzled by, it definately had both cats in as there was no sudden kick when the second turbo came online, but the change over to the second turbo was extremely hessitant, I didn't actually get to take it to the redline as it kept doing it! and it didnt feel quick! I floored it from 2nd from 40 and it was very juddery.

Tom like AJI says the juddering is not normal. However the Second turbo IMO doesn't have a 'kick' on a stock car, its very much a seemless acceleration (no hesitancy) through the rev range with it just pulling gradually harder. The Kick i believe is more pronounced in decated motors and is definitely noticeable with the turbo's not in sequential mode.

Sounds like a good walk away by you (and should be a stay away too!).

If you spy one down my way, then feel free to bell me and you could maybe drive mine for a bit before viewing it? I don't profess to be a mechanic or anything, but two heads are always better than one, and i have owned a few now, so generally know what is and whats not 'normal', and you can't beat a direct comparison.

I've brought my sh*tter now so will get back to scanning the sup market for ya, and let you know if i spy something tasty!

Originally posted by TDRAPER

Im still glad I went today though as I've got a bit more experince now of what to look for, just trying to find out what these problems were!

exactly good experience...........don't concern yourself with what these problems are just that they shouldn't be happening and not to buy cars with them! keep remembering that JIC car..........