The mkiv Supra Owners Club

possible battery problem ??

supra steveo

a few times this week the car has needed a little push to get started and its as if the battery has gone flat, the radio and the clock lose their memory too :( its really beginning to do my nut in :blink:

could it be the starter motor ? one plus side is my speedo has stated working again :)

Edited by supra steveo (see edit history)

Nobody replied to your question yet?

I have a not too distant issue at the moment with mine, being that my battery keeps discharging quicker than one would expect.

My line of thinking was that as I mainly use my car only during summertime weekends when the weather is nice that my car's security system drains the charge over a period of two weeks when the car is not being used.

But this would be a serious amount of drain coming from the security system alone (I would have thought).

So this leads me to think that the battery cells could be damaged and are simply not holding their charge (maybe due to winter storage?). It reads the normal 12V once the charger comes off, but over a period of two weeks the charge reduces down to 9V or below.

I've topped up the cells with distilled water but so far having no 'saving' effect.

I'm no battery expert so I'm not sure how a battery cell becomes damaged and the mechanism of how it refuses to hold a charge for a decent amount of time, or if once a battery is given a charge then it must have a route in which to discharge.

So I will wait for replies by some more knowledgeable people ;)

steveo: by "a little push", what do you mean? It sounds like the battery is indeed draining, but if it hasn't got enough power left to run the dashboard clock, I'd say it would need a jump start or if you're feeling brave a bump start. Can you go into more detail about the symptoms?

AJI: I'm no expert either but batteries have a finite life. Charging an old battery doesn't restore it to factory-fresh condition. Over time the battery will hold less charge as the internal cells get less efficient. I think it's corrosion/deposits on the electrical plates over time but don't quote me on that. I wouldn't be surprised if my car wouldn't start after 2 or 3 weeks being left alone. 9V sounds too low to start the car, but again don't take my word for it.

It's stopped the car starting on 2 occasions now and instead of turning over it clicks , the dash lights are still and I've bumped it twice after bumping it the stereo and clock have been reset and after a few minutes of running it will start again

It sounds like a tired battery, but just to make sure, next you have to bump it (do you really mean "bump start", as in pushing it down a hill and turning the key?), turn off the engine and try to re-start it. If it doesn't start, it's probably the battery (as I suspect). If it does start, it'll be the starter motor contacts (not likely based on what you've said).

Mine sometimes clicks when the battery clamps arent quite tight enough, i have my battery on and off alot due to it not being used much and currently stripped, may sound obvious but easily overlooked

It does sound as if your battery is gone like but worth checking before you splash out on a new one

right battery was fubar'ed yesterday and took it to halfords to exchange it and today ive got the exact same problem, the car wont start again so is it the alternator that is fubar'ed ? it looks on the dash like there is loads of power there until i turn the key then the mad clicking noise starts again the lights dim until i turn the IGN off but when i turn the key back on it looks like there is power there again :blink: my head is slightly fragged

looks like the alternator is ok so leads me to the starter motor there is defo power there because we can hear the clicking the alternator was kicking out a steady 13.20 volts so i guess thats ok, the bump starts are seem to be canny violent lol was nearly dragged under the car last night....................... yeah that would of been fun explaining that to the medics ......... " i ran myself over......." :rolleyes:

Edited by supra steveo (see edit history)

My money is in the starter.... The clicking gives it away. If it were battery it would at least use what little juice it had to turn the engine and the sound of the engine turning would mean the starter was good

the battery i was using was just clicking and not turning over. and the battery was no good

the battery i was using was just clicking and not turning over. and the battery was no good

you mean the starter was clicking as the battery only had enough juice to engage

the starter gear but not actually turn the flywheel hence it clicks

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

update :(

ive done the starter referb thats in the tech pages , ive switched out the plunger and both contacts, it started twice then it went back to clicking again so ive ordered a brand new starter motor just to rule that out . while trying to start the car and giving the starter a tap with a breaker bar it failed again to start and then the Immobiliser/ Alarm went mad and none of the dash light were coming on, now the stereo keeps turning its self on and off so i think ive got a massive wiring/electrics problem

How cheap we talking Fosta? I was going to try and referb this starter, I've seen that they can be a bugger to get to and it has to come off anyway looks like its going to be one of those learning curve jobs

£20 dude but I see you have bought a new one. Good man that will sort it! Liam had the same problem and was fixed with a new starter ;)

I think you need to get it checked again.

What voltage does the battery have in it when the problem

started again ?

You have an earth problem, alternator problem or a drain on

the system thats emptying the battery which needs properly

checking.

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)