The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Windscreen Crack - What replacement?

Elliot

Last night I had a little cracking sound whilst driving. I have heard it twice before in the last week or so.

I popped out earlier and there was a crack around 15cm across the left hand side of my windscreen. There is a stone chip which I never noticed before & I guess it has just split from there.

I've read a few posts on the subject, and will go through my insurers, but what window / tint or code number shall I make sure they use?

Any more advice would be appreciated as always :)

Hi,

Had my screen replaced on thursday, Called my Insurance company, they told me to phone Autoglass, phone them gave then my registration number and they then asked me to describe my screen to them. the guy turned up the next day with 3 different screens, mine has the green tint across the top off it !!

looked in his van , said thats lucky pulled out the same screen, he did say that if he didn`t have the right one it would have taken 4 weeks to get the right one ordered. :eek:

So basically if they come out and haven`t got the one you already have, they will order it for you, but it could take a while.

V

Right matey boy youve spoke to the right person here!!!

The windscreen fitted in the supra is blue with a green top tint(about 4 inches down from the top of the screen)

The product code is 8284ablgn and also make sure they bring out a 8284asmc with them as that is the trim set for the car,If you get autoglass out to do it they should have the screen on the shelf at the distribution centre in leicester so it should be here in a few days tops,but make sure when they come that you check the trim that they have before he goes anywhere near the car as alot of fitters tend to use a trim which goes on easier but isnt the right one for the car and will look crap after,when he does come and take the screen out he will be using a kent knife and a few other varied tools,be warned to tell him that a 3quaters of an inch kent knife will touch the roof lining if its not pushed through right,also tell him to use white top primer on any bits where it may have gone down to the bare metal when he removes the screen as otherwise without it it could lead to rust problems a few years down the line,Any other queries pm me your number and i will give you a call!

cheers Tim

Nice one Tim! Thanks very much mate.

How do you know so much about these? Do you work with glass/windscreens or just had problems in the past with yours?

I'll call my insurers tomorrow & make sure I get someone who knows what they're doing out to do it!

I work for AUTOGLASS and have done for the last 6 years,Im a technical supervisor in Swindon and I normally check every now and again to make sure the parts for the car are in stock,The only window we have to go to toyota for is the o/s rear quater and thats the most expensive piece at over £700!,when its all booked in gimme a bell and i will ring your local branch and get them to see the jobs done right!

If there are proper stone chips then these can be repaired on your insurance on most fully comp policies and these can be done free of charge,if there are lots of little chips then you can either contact your insurance company and let them deal with it or contact AUTOGLASS directly and have the screen replaced saying that because if the pitting on the screen that it makes night driving hazardous and it needs replacing,the absolute most you will pay is £100 but most companies run a £50 or £60 excess that does not effect your no claims bonus

Thanks stt (sorry, don't know your real name!)

I'll be ringing my insurers (Churchill) late tomorrow afternoon, and hopefully they use Autoglass. If they do, then I'll PM you & your help would be much appreciated!

I don't want someone turning up to fit the window who knows a hell of a lot more than me & then me hassling them about product codes etc! I'd feel a bit cheeky! Then again, it needs to be done right I suppose!

I've seen a couple of scrap Supras lately with the rear quarter windows intact. Worth taking them out!?

Originally posted by Elliot

Thanks stt (sorry, don't know your real name!)

Ha ha read YOUR last post on this thread!!!

Yes mate we do deal with churchill insurance and I think you will only have to pay a nifty,done a quick stock count at our distribution centre earlierand they have 12 windscreens in stock and 2 trims so that shouldnt be a problem

For everyone elses reference heres the partcodes on all the glass for the mkiv

N/S front door 8284LBLC2FDW

O/S front door 8284RBLC2FDW

N/S Rear quaterlight 8284LBLC2RQZ

O/S Rear quaterlight 8284RBLC2RQZ

HEATED REAR 8284BBLC

The prices between each window vary on side to side which is dependant upon which one is broken more often, green glass is listed but ive never seen a supra with green glass in it,Like i said though gimme a bell and i will sort out top service for you!

Actually,If any of you guys out there have ever spoke to or know jules truss from fast car mag his purple soop has got ford sierra windscreen mouldings round it and they were hanging out last time i saw it!

I also like spotting trains on the weekends and having tea and scones with my gran!!:twak:

It went great, thanks for the help and info Tim. They were very friendly & did a great job.

He said it had been replaced at one point before as there was way too much glue at the bottom of the old windscreen.

I'm just worried about the cost of replacing the windows if they get broken when the car gets resprayed!

Being honest that shouldnt really be too much of a problem when gettting the car painted up,Do you guys(Dumb question)

know of the uk FATF replica?Well that belongs or did belong to a guy called mark but the work was carried out by some good friends of mine at Avon Custom (Shameless plug!) and I taken the windows out of that,when it does come time remove the interior trim panels around the rear quaters and that should make the technicians life easier and also reduces the risks of them getting cut to s**t

Yes mate,They are based in a little village called claverham the other forum that I use regularly called tatsu was set up by Alex who is the son of the owners of Avon Custom,I have done a reasonable amount of work for them in the past as they also done the (cough) MAX POWER guide to modifying books with Haynes,Kevin does do his job very well but as with anyone you pay good money for it too

Hmm, noticed last night that the seal at the top has popped up! It pops back in again, but it looks like it hasn't been glued in securely.

Anyone had anything like this happen to theres after a windscreen replacement?

I took my car to their workshop rather than have someone come out so they could do their best effort in the best environment, but it look like something's gone wrong.

I don't want any nasty leaks, or rust so am I obliged to take it back over there, or should I get the mobile guy out?

window seal.jpg