The mkiv Supra Owners Club

RIP my SMIC

ellis

SMIC - 1996 - 2013

Bow your heads as we say a prayer for Mick the SMIC - born 1996, passed away after been yanked through the wheel well at 3.45pm yesterday.

Mick was a dependable companion but after 17 years has made his final full boost journey to the skip. As you can see, he suffered during his final years and has cooled his last breath.

And we say hello to a nice shiny CW SMIC!!

Mick who? Never heard of him!

I have always loved the way the SMICs pick up cigarette butts when they get old. Like some dirty old tramp.

I pulled a few out of this before I took the pic funnily enough. And H, someone with far superior knowledge than mine will be able to answer your question but my belief is that it cools air thus making it denser and culminating in a bigger bang.

I pulled a few out of this before I took the pic funnily enough. And H, someone with far superior knowledge than mine will be able to answer your question but my belief is that it cools air thus making it denser and culminating in a bigger bang.

An Intercooler is there to lower intake temperatures as colder air is denser and makes for better combustion which equals powaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar !!! It does this by heat exchange through the fins which give the intercooler a biblical surface area in which to exchange the heat. Over time the fins corrode and fall off lowering the surface area of the intercooler thus reducing its cooling efficiency. So that intercooler was pretty much just extra weight slowing you down :D

I think so.

The two engineers (I can't call them mechanics, doesn't do the guys who work on cars much justice I always think) were blown away by the CW one they fitted - said it was probably the finest workmanship and quality they'd seen and these guys race prep Porsches and old racing Alfas. My old UK spec had a CW SMIC fitted by Chris himself and that car ran beautifully.

Edited by ellis (see edit history)

There was a Radtec one go this week on eBay, I put a bid of 125 on it but someone got it for 150, wish I had put a bit more on it really. Be interested to see how it improves your car performance Ellis.

Me too. She's just had a full service too with new plugs and new Coil Packs going in over the weekend. With the new rad cap as well I can give her a good run and see what difference there is.

Me too. She's just had a full service too with new plugs and new Coil Packs going in over the weekend. With the new rad cap as well I can give her a good run and see what difference there is.

Sounds good. Glad you mentioned rad caps,I thought I must be going mad as the thread about it has vanished without trace :search:

Sounds good. Glad you mentioned rad caps,I thought I must be going mad as the thread about it has vanished without trace :search:

Swampy (here in Lincoln) has one so I can meet up with him tomorrow and get it screwed on - even I can do that bit!

Has it been deleted? Probably has as there was some argy bargy beginning I think!! Not me though (which is unusual!)

Yep - just searched - gone! I'd suspect it was because of the above. Just as well I got one sourced then eh mods!! :D