The mkiv Supra Owners Club

One for the paintshop guys - painting spats.

TubbyTwo

Hi folks,

spent last night sanding down some OEM spats with wet and dry. Now have a nice smooth finish free of any marks etc, finished with 800 grade paper. Do I need to do anything else to the surface before laying down a few coats of primer? does it need to be keyed with anything?

Will be using plastic primer then moving on to paints4u cans of 202 black I have left from something else.

For the colour, would it be spray then let it dry and sand back then spray again as with the lacquer? Have painted a few parts in the past but nothing this large or flat :D

Thanks

Si

Personally i would use 400 or even 380 when flatting for primer, as it will provide a better key, if the paint your going over is intact there is no need for plastic primer, in fact its not a good idea over other paint, is the black a metallic? if so once you are satisfied that you have a good finish to the primer just shoot two or three coats of colour followed by two coats of lacquer, if its a solid then just a couple of coats should do it, follow up once dry with a careful wet flat with 1500-2000 and polish with compound.

you need the surface as clean as possible before primer, before paint, befor lacquer, and clean the dirt with dissolvent and a new paper napkin (smooth touch after the primer is dry) and 800 is very, .....too smooth for primer, (nothing wrong) also sand the primer with 800 befor paint and clean again,

you mix the paint with the lacquer? or separatly? Good luck, don't rush!

Just picked up some 320 grade so that's fine and have some panel wipe as well. Nope its straight 202 Toyota black I'm painting over, just had been sprayed badly in the past.

So just a plain grey primer would be fine then? Have a rotary plus polishing compounds and heads so that's all fine for correcting the finish after sanding.

if the sanded surface you were painting over was spot on finish wise, you could paint the black over the flatted paintwork. The only problem with this is that if there are any impurities, marks dips etc in the existing paintwork, you wont see them so well.

As its paint your painting on top of I would use normal grey primer, few coats & let dry.

Guide coat it (lightly speccle some black over it) then flat this off. - Areas still with black speccles on are low spots.

Do this until flat & guide coat can no longer be seen after flatting or your happy its as close as you want it.

Paint - 2-3 coats (dont have to be 100% dry between each, just let it flash off so you dont get any runs)

Let dry

Lacquer part

Once fully dry, wet sand (high grit paper) and polish to a shine.

Is how I have done parts in the past and finish has been spot on.

(Just my experience there, obv can be done a number of ways :) )

Just picked up some 320 grade so that's fine and have some panel wipe as well. Nope its straight 202 Toyota black I'm painting over, just had been sprayed badly in the past.

So just a plain grey primer would be fine then? Have a rotary plus polishing compounds and heads so that's all fine for correcting the finish after sanding.

If the original colour is intact and you haven't gone through it and your happy with it, you can just shoot the black over it.