The mkiv Supra Owners Club

I hate crank pulleys!

Monkpower

I clearly don't get on with crank pulleys...

My first experience was 2011 when the inner part came off, fair enough I got a new one fitted. A non genuine part, lasted about 6months before in came apart. Hmm yes I know lesson learned.

Got it replaced with a genuine Toyota part. Happy days, right?

Well, today whilst driving down the A2...BANG, SMASH, SMASH, SMASH... I was able to limp it to my work car park, with no power steering and the temperature rapidly rising.

Bonnet goes up lets have a look. Back of the crank pulley completely came apart, sending broken pieces furiously flying around the engine bay. The alternator was broken clean off its mounts, tensioner destroyed including the arm. Only thing intact was the actual fan belt.

For some reason I cannot post photos at the moment.

What do you think could be causing so many crank pulley failures?

- - - Updated - - -

Apologies maybe I should have posted this in the technical section.

Only thing that springs to mind is excess stresses on the pulley .....belt having to work harder pulling other pulleys round .....are all of your other ancilliaries turning freely .....alternator/power steering/tensioner/aircon etc .......they should last way longer than yours seem to be doing :(

One other thing causing the rubber bonding to fail is excessive temperatures heat or cold ???

Edited by trebor69 (see edit history)

Check the alternator mounting tab on the bottom of the block. (Bottom altenator mounting hole) I hate to say it, but this is more likely to have snapped than the alternator itself. Not that that's the problem, but it's worth checking before deciding on future direction. :)

Thats exactly whats broken off too James, i have the car with me. It needs a new/second hand engine fitted, never seen this much damage before caused by a crank pulley failure. The idler itself is snapped cleanly in half too! god knows where the rest is. Its has ripped the alternator straight off its mounts.

Its going to be costly thats for sure. Definately a hard decision to make.