The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New track tyres - sources?

pedrosixfour

Hey all.

I'm in the mood/market for some new track rubber, I've been considering Kumho Ecsta V70A tyres in particular as they're one of the few brands that do the sizes I'm after.

I'm looking for a pair of 245/40R17 & a pair of 275/40R17.

Medium compound is probably a better than hard, especially if an opportunity to compete in Time Attack ever becomes more than wishful thinking on my part, but I'd consider both.

Does anyone have any useful information on where I might get the best deal on a new set of the above?

Thanks for your time.

-Damien-

Have you thought about Federal FZ-201's??

I have never used them but I have heard good things about them and they are reasonable on price.

They don't appear to do them in a 275 width for a 17" rim mate, like most 255 seems to be the cut-off. Thats what I'm running now and they seem to get a little overwhelmed.

I'm running 10" wide rears and 275 seems to be the optimum tyre size for them, but they are a very uncommon size in a 17". Just my luck of course. I'm tempted to source a decent set of 18" rims which would make finding tyres a doddle but I really like the 17" rims I have.

We use http://www.bmtr.co.uk who are Avon race tyre

suppliers and might be worth a chat too

They do Avon, Dunlop, Federal and Yokohama track day tyres

Cheers for the link Dunk, as much as I'd like to run slicks they aren't permitted in the Time Attack class I'd be aiming for. I don't see much point getting myself or the car dialled in for slicks when I'd be limited to tyres with less grip when the stopwatch is on me. That might seem a bit silly but I've always had one eye on the regs for that class while building the car as I think I could almost be competitive in it. The class which allows slicks is the unlimited class which is the proving ground for space-framed, nitrous sucking, carbon clad monsters from Ireland's top tuners, not really for the likes of me or my budget.

I'll certainly drop them an email with regards to their road-legal stock though.

They don't appear to do them in a 275 width for a 17" rim mate, like most 255 seems to be the cut-off. Thats what I'm running now and they seem to get a little overwhelmed.

I'm running 10" wide rears and 275 seems to be the optimum tyre size for them, but they are a very uncommon size in a 17". Just my luck of course. I'm tempted to source a decent set of 18" rims which would make finding tyres a doddle but I really like the 17" rims I have.

Ah ok mate, sorry dude I should have checked the sizes beforehand.

Going 18" would open a whole host of tyre choices (not to mention larger brakes :innocent: :eyebrows::eyebrows:) but then I know what you mean about liking a set of wheels

Hope you manage to find something dude :)

Edited by ManwithSupra (see edit history)

I've checked all of BMTR's track day tyres and none of the ones i listed

go to 275

You could get away with 255 on a 10" rim just

The Dunlop DZ03G is available in 235 & 255 17's and

225 and 245 18's

The Avon ZZR is available in 225 & 265 18's and

215, 225 & 255 17's

Both are rd legal track day grooved tyres not slicks

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

Ah ok mate, sorry dude I should have checked the sizes beforehand.

Going 18" would open a whole host of tyre choices (not to mention larger brakes :innocent: :eyebrows::eyebrows:) but then I know what you mean about liking a set of wheels

Hope you manage to find something dude :)

Cheers mate, I found a listing on ebay for new Kumho track tyres in the sizes I'm looking for, waiting to hear back on actual prices now.

I've checked all of BMTR's track day tyres and none of the ones i listed

go to 275

You could get away with 255 on a 10" rim just

The Dunlop DZ03G is available in 235 & 255 17's and

225 and 245 18's

The Avon ZZR is available in 225 & 265 18's and

215, 225 & 255 17's

Both are rd legal track day grooved tyres not slicks

Thanks for all the help Dunk, you're a gent.

As I said 255 R888 tyres are what I'm running now, I swapped them over from a set of 9" rears I was running previously. But it seems silly not to utilise the extra inch I have in my current 10" rears, hence the search for the 275's which appear to be the ideal width for the rims.

The reason I'm so keen to stick with the 17" rims I have is that they are one piece forged Volks in a perfect offset and weigh next to nothing while still clearing the UK calipers.

To find the equivalent in an 18" would definitely cause me to miss two or three track days this year. Thats not a happy thought.