The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Brake pads

shaz2010

In truth?

Probably not a lot.

But brakes are important, the OEM are a known quantity and should perform in a manner in keeping with a car like the Supra. Spurious brake pad characteristics can vary greatly between makes, some may not be particularly suited to the stopping needs of a hard charging Supra.

If you are going for aftermarket "standard" pads go for the trusted brands if possible, Ferodo for example.

In truth?

Probably not a lot.

But brakes are important, the OEM are a known quantity and should perform in a manner in keeping with a car like the Supra. Spurious brake pad characteristics can vary greatly between makes, some may not be particularly suited to the stopping needs of a hard charging Supra.

If you are going for aftermarket "standard" pads go for the trusted brands if possible, Ferodo for example.

Yeah the price is a canny bit between Toyota dealer pads @£68+vat (trade price) and Gearbox part dealer near me @30 all in and that's blueprint pads! Don't know what to do my uk spec discs are brand new and don't really wanna put naff pads on them only to change them quickly :-/ hence the reason why I ask.

I don't you it for track days or not just normal use

I would always go with the best you can afford.

This is one of two things IMO that should not be scrimped on any car.... the other one being tyres.

I am not saying the blueprint ones are rubbish I am sure they are more than capable in normal driving, but when you want to push that little bit harder on those sunny evenings then you may wish that you bought better pads. After all we don’t buy a Supra to pootle about do we :D

Think you should phone another dealer, £65.60 inc vat for front pads

Personally knowing how good the uk spec set up is i'd stick with it, i

don't think its worth trying to save a round of drinks on brakes.

If you did then why not get blueprint discs as well !

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

Personally knowing how good the uk spec set is i's stick with it as i

+1

Personally knowing how good the uk spec set is i's stick with it as i

+1shaz what toyota dealership have you been too ? Silverlink are quite dear, tried to charge me over £340 for new aerotop seals !

Ended up getting all 4 from Texas USA for £220 delivered :)

Really like you's say I'm not really fused about the price as I can easily manage the price of Toyota oem ones, if they are the same pad I would go for the cheaper option but if they aren't the same quality then oem it is . That's the best price I could get dunk .

Really like you's say I'm not really fused about the price as I can easily manage the price of Toyota oem ones, if they are the same pad I would go for the cheaper option but if they aren't the same quality then oem it is . That's the best price I could get dunk .

The price i quoted is retail + vat and with trade discount i save the vat 20%

Too many Toyota dealers seem to make up their own prices so shop around, quite a few won't give any discount but you have to ask for it and be a

little cheeky :)

chris wilson fast road pads are great, but as others have said buy the best you can get for what you set up car is for .

i put some rubish halfords ones on was on the car about a month after hard braking i had so much brake fade it was dangerous, live and lean i would never risk it again on a fast car

+1shaz what toyota dealership have you been too ? Silverlink are quite dear, tried to charge me over £340 for new aerotop seals !

Ended up getting all 4 from Texas USA for £220 delivered :)

I joe silver link was the quote! ^ that was a good bit of saving like !

- - - Updated - - -

Have you tried ebay for oem pads ?

No not yet will have a look tonight

The price i quoted is retail + vat and with trade discount i save the vat 20%

Too many Toyota dealers seem to make up their own prices so shop around, quite a few won't give any discount but you have to ask for it and be a

little cheeky :)

Lol that's what I had to do with my discs got them for £90 £98 with the vat :-)

chris wilson fast road pads are great, but as others have said buy the best you can get for what you set up car is for .

i put some rubish halfords ones on was on the car about a month after hard braking i had so much brake fade it was dangerous, live and lean i would never risk it again on a fast car

That's what my worry is if they are no where near the oem pads I would be kicking myself

Afraid you were done again unless that's for a pair of fronts and a pair of rears

For discs?! I paid £300 all round.

Also I'd reccomend the CW fast road pads, as they felt a lot better than stock at 70+, also could be used on a track day if you ever go down that route.

Honestly that was a pair of uk spec 323mm fronts £98 all in :-/

That's a very good price if genuine parts from Toyota

Front discs each are £56.11 + vat retail, to me their £112 with 20% off

Shaz, I've found Hodgson near the Metrocentre to be cheaper than Hodgson Silverlink. Totally don't understand as they are the same dealership. Maybe it's an area thing as Silverlink has Porsche Bugatti and Bentley dealerships.

Good price on the discs, I've just spent £199 on drilled grooved fronts from MTec. But if you're gonna pay nearly £70 for pads you can get EBC yellow pads for that. :D

I found the EBC's to be shite' date=' binned them after less than 1k miles. [/quote']

This. :yes: I think the EBCs work ok on lighter cars but on the Supra I found them worse than stock.

I use Porterfield pads now on my K-Sports and I had Hawk ones previously on my UK Specs and have been impressed by both.