The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Might need a new auto tranmission

Guest Lyall

Guest Lyall

Took the car to the garage and they have said someone will need to open it up and look at it as they wont touch it. Does anybody know of anyone in or around glasgow that specializes in this kind of thing?

How much do you reckon I will be out money wise with new trans and labour? Has anyone had the same problem with thier sup?

Any help would be great.

Cheers

Lyall

As mentioned in your other thread a good second hand transmission will be around the £300 mark, not to forget that if you have debris in your transmission then you have more than likely got to replace your torque convertor also. As for fitting I did a complete box swap in 3 hours so no more than £150 I would imagine for labour.

Guest Lyall

cheers for teh comments guys...It doesnt seem as bad now! I thought I was gonna need to fork out a couple of grand to to get it on the road!! I'll look into all of what u said!!!

Guest Lyall

Cheers keron! I take it that a TT autobox wont fit a NA? Mine is NA. How much for a NA box?

No not tried an oil and filter change. I had to put ATF fluid into to get it to the garage, there is fluid leaking right out of the box..would an oil and filter change fix this>

As mentioned in your other thread a good second hand transmission will be around the £300 mark, not to forget that if you have debris in your transmission then you have more than likely got to replace your torque convertor also. As for fitting I did a complete box swap in 3 hours so no more than £150 I would imagine for labour.

did you actually change the box out your self ?

Guest Lyall

What is the torque convertor for? Is this to change it from NA to TT or the other way about? If I were to buy a NA box would I still need this? What I'm looking to find out is when I replace the autobox - would I need both the autobox and converter? is this anything else that I would need? Sorry for all the questions but I just dont want to go into it blind!!

Cheers

Lyall

All auto-boxes have a torque converter mate it replaces the manual type clutch. Its a fluid coupling that transmits power from the engine to the driving wheels and multiples the torque. When you press the accelerator, the engine speeds up, fluid is pumped into the torque converter which transmits the power to the gearbox/wheels.

In a nutshell anyway.

how and with what tools?

this is just so i know if i have to do mine

I have a full size inspection pit in the garage so it made the job a few times easier, but basically I loaded a transmission jack underneith, unbolted the converter through the inspection hole, unbolted the gearbox (top 2 bolts you need a very long extension bar and go in from behind the box). Once these are all undone slide it back on the jack then lower slightly undoing all the connectors, then lower fully and off it is :)

Not forgetting the gearbox mount bolts and cooler pipes but you know that ;)

Guest Lyall
All auto-boxes have a torque converter mate it replaces the manual type clutch. Its a fluid coupling that transmits power from the engine to the driving wheels and multiples the torque. When you press the accelerator, the engine speeds up, fluid is pumped into the torque converter which transmits the power to the gearbox/wheels.

In a nutshell anyway.

Cheers mate. So I'll defo need a new one of those too then, cool. So all i'll need is the auto box and torque converter? Just so I know what to buy