The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Alloy bonnet with TS vents

thomo8568

Hi all

Is per my other thread I'm not happy with the fit of my TS style bonnet. So I'm now thinking about fitting the vents in to a jspec bonnet. I'm sure I have read on here before that some one has done this already, but can't find any info or photos of how it looks.

Does anyone have any in info or photos of the best way to do this? Would it look best fitted on top so it stands out more or from underneath so it looks deeper. Only problem I can see from fixing it on the underside is that my strut brace may stop it from closing.

Cheers

Ian

If you are knocking out the other bonnet cheap I may be interested as I always wanted a TS bonnet.

I was thinking of cutting it up to fit the vents on to a stock bonnet. But I may be willing to sell as it would save me the work as its probably past my skill level. But don't want to lose out to much. What do you class as cheap? It would probably need collecting, as would probably get damaged in post.

It's me that's done the ts vents in to an j spec bonnet fella, haven't had that much time as I've been working on the rest of the car, should hopefully have it in primer by the end of the week and fitted to the car :)

How much work was it to do ?

Only trouble with putting a carbon/fibreglass vent into an alu bonnet, is that during hot days, each material will expand and contract at different rates and thus, crack. :(

Weve put fibreglass vents etc in to bonnets and repaired carbon bonnets with fibreglass and painted them and never had one back yet.

Weve put fibreglass vents etc in to bonnets and repaired carbon bonnets with fibreglass and painted them and never had one back yet.

Fair enough, I've got no idea on your level of expertise, so can't comment there, but a friend of mine's dad has run a bodyshop for 35+ years now and was certain that if I put in a vent to my MR2 bonnet, it was going to inevitably crack over time. Logically, it makes perfect sense.

Edit: Just wanted to say this is putting fibreglass into alu/steel, not repairing carbon with fibreglass.

Guest marticus
Probably because it'd cost more to cut and make it look all pretty than it would to just cut out a rectangle and drop the insert in :)

Would it really cost more than the bonnet is worth?

Cost of bonnet + time to cut and fit vents against cost of cutting the vents directly into the bonnet?

Guest marticus
Cutting vents into the bonnet still needs you to actually weld in new metal, unless you want six + metal 'flaps' that move about as soon as you drive :)

yeah of course, i didn't say it would be easy, i just figured selling the carbon bonnet and doing it that way would be cheaper than cutting up a cf bonnet and still having to do work to make the vents fit...

;)

I was just thinking of cutting two rectangles out and then mounting them on top of the bonnet( would need to put some work in to making the cut out TS vents look nice and neat) or just sticking them to the underside of the bonnet with something like windscreen glue. This way there would be nothing to crack as the glue should allow for a bit of movement. Only problem I can see with fitting them on the underside is making the joints look good.

yeah of course, i didn't say it would be easy, i just figured selling the carbon bonnet and doing it that way would be cheaper than cutting up a cf bonnet and still having to do work to make the vents fit...

;)

I wouldn't even begin to think about cutting up a CF bonnet. ;)