The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Is the auto box on an na any good

chris0132

I'm looking at getting an na supra and there aren't too many manuals around so started looking at autos as there's quite a few but should I just wait or are the autos actually any good I've for an is300 auto at the moment but that's a 5 speed and pretty good but heard that the auto in the supra is a 4 speed so don't know if that's gonna be as good

What they like guys?

The na box serves the purpose of getting the limited hp from the na to the wheels. Apparently they are pretty weak if you start pushing up the hp. If you are content driving an auto na then that's fine but performance wise, if you ever consider updating look towards a new box. Keep looking you will be surprised what crops up. I was looking at an auto until my six speed found me :)

The na auto box is slick and fast. Its a pleasure to drive and once driven most drivers admit they ,love them, even the manual diehards. Yes its true that don't handle power over the 300hp mark well but neither does the w58 on many na cars, but there is a guy on here who can cure that easily and relatively cheaply. The box was well ahead of its time when new and has stood the test of time.

Have a look at the drag times, that would give you an indication of an difference. I have had a couple of na autos and loved the box. I drove a na w58 and it felt quicker off the mark but not sure it really was, its a perception IMO as the auto is more controlled.

Edited by Shane (see edit history)

Having driven both I'd go for the manual Chris. The auto box is great when mated to a TT lump but having driven an NA auto they feel really slow compared to a NA manual, albeit probably not much difference in real life. Josh42 is best to ask, he converted his from auto to manual with a lsd.

Having driven both I'd go for the manual Chris. The auto box is great when mated to a TT lump but having driven an NA auto they feel really slow compared to a NA manual, albeit probably not much difference in real life. Josh42 is best to ask, he converted his from auto to manual with a lsd.

Thanks for that rich that actually helps quite a bit someone just offered me a stripped out supra with a 4 point cage buckets harnesses and a body kit as swap plus 250 my way but I think ill keep looking but that was a manual

Thanks for that rich that actually helps quite a bit someone just offered me a stripped out supra with a 4 point cage buckets harnesses and a body kit as swap plus 250 my way but I think ill keep looking but that was a manual

Any links to that Supra you've been offered mate? I may be cheeky and message the seller to see if he wants to sell the cage :eyebrows:

A lot of auto owners (or auto haters) prob don't drive it correctly. Its about throttle control, sinking the foot straight into the floor isn't the best way to go fast. Try imagining the pedal is stiff and trying to push it all the way down.. like trying to push it through thick mud.