The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Plasti dipped the Dash panels

TubbyTwo

Hi Folks,

Decided to have a play with Plasti-dip on all the dash panels. Mine were in a right state, had been sprayed badly by previous owner and originally I was going to 3M carbon wrap them but after testing on the ashtray lid I wasn't keen on the finish:

Fancied going for a more OEM look so ordered 2 cans of black from here:

http://www.plastidip.co.uk/eStore/index.cfm?Plastidip_Aerosol_Spray_-_400ml&stage=3&colour=Black,Blue,Clear,Yellow,White,Red,Green,Orange,Brown&pid=PDL-0009

Sanded down the original panels, starting with the gear surround, ashtray lid and the upper part of the dash trim.

1st light base coat:

It covers really well, and is very forgiving to use, starts off looking very textured but dries to a nice finish. If you spray too thick it evens itself out to an extent as well so no runs.

The gear surround will be getting 6 coats due to the chance of increased wear, so will the ashtray lid.

These pictures are after 4 coats, once fully dry will start laying down the thick wet coats:

Still have the rest of the panels to do but very happy with the result so far :D

More to follow!

Si

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That looks really good - be good for the active spoiler lip too. Where does one buy some from?

Cheapest place is here mate:

http://www.plastidip.co.uk/eStore/index.cfm?Plastidip_Aerosol_Spray_-_400ml&stage=3&colour=Black,Blue,Clear,Yellow,White,Red,Green,Orange,Brown&pid=PDL-0009

I got 2 cans as want to do lots of coats.

That looks nice.

Was looking to do something similar to mine.

Are you going to do some further updates?

Yes chap doing all the panels this weekend, will be sanding the rest down tomorrow and spraying them so will keep the post updated. Highly tempted to do all the engine bay plastics the same as well.

Good thing about this stuff is if you mess it up, let it dry then peel it off, start again.

Hmm tasty - how much of those 2 cans do you reckon you've used so far in those 4 coats?

I have done the ashtray lid 3 times, the top large bit of trim above the speedo cluster 3 times then the gear surround 4 times and have just under half a can left I reckon.

I am doing thickish coats though.

I have done the ashtray lid 3 times, the top large bit of trim above the speedo cluster 3 times then the gear surround 4 times and have just under half a can left I reckon.

I am doing thickish coats though.

Spot on, thanks for that - think I'll be placing an order too.