The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Mint n/a or knackered TT?.

Mace

Got myself a mint 1993 N/A supra and a beatup ex cat C uk supra that needs rebuilding. No interior no exhaust, most bodywork missing i.e bumpers, skirts, mirrors etc. Question is do I save the UK TT even though its a ex write off when i can just convert the N/A i've had for ten years? The UK supra is rare so i'm told (but you see a lot of them??) and which would be worth more completed?

I would say save the UK if you can! They are becoming incredibly rare especially a TT6 in good condition, the cat C bit might put future buyers off, but do you really want to sell it? Also if its Cat C and properly restored by a decent garage then I see no problem in buying a cat C.

But that's just my two cents

I'd have a really good look at the shell on the UK. There are a few horror stories about rust on the chassis if it hasn't been properly cared for.

A CAT C UK6 will be worth more than a NA-TT but I doubt a UK auto would. There were some going for £5-6K last year and they were not cat C's.

Personally, I dont get the fear over cat C write offs. especially so if the car is going to be a keeper or long term project. A 20 year old Supra will fall into CatC territory if both headlights, bumper and screen required replacement, its a cost thing decided by the underwriters and not always to do with serious damage like chassis etc.

You buy a car as a catc, photograph the damage and repair for the record if you decide to flog it, get it through the vic check (which is nothing, simply a chassis/engine number check, no more) and enjoy.

If we were talking GTRs or much newer cars then maybe some caution as it does affect the resell price, but we are talking about old cars with a lot less value here. Look how long Guigsy has been trying to sell his excellent UK for, they are not worth all that now and this is why they are being broken now at an alarming rate.

If it was me, I would be looking at which car was the most solid and that would become my TT and I would use the very best from both cars to get to the car I was pleased with.

Just my opinion of course.

And mines not even a cat c. Or a d for that matter.

Mine has been sat on the drive so long with only a few interested queries im seriously thinking about working out a deal with keron. I can't brake her up myself and I don't have the time. But although the car drives very well and the paintwork is 90% fresh nobody is interested :(

Rust wise the uk is not bad but i'm thinking a lot less hassle changing the engine out than building it back up with UK parts as they'll be expensive I would think. I'll stick with the engine swap, had to think about it though as its a uk car. they used to be worth good money? :blink:

I'd check out where you stand insurance wise as some insurance comps

wont cover Cat d's or c's.

AXA who i've just insured my Landcruiser with wont

Personally i wouldn't touch a cat c with a long stick but that's just me.

Re sale value is massively reduced as well

Yes I wouldn't normally either. They make good engine donors though :). Just got tempted with the whole rare uk spec thing. Which I suppose is pointless if its made of j spec parts and has a checkered history on it.. The temptation has passed I think. Good to see some support for the n/a- TT conversion. I thought I'd get shot down for killing off a uk spec for a lowly N/A Auto.

I'd check out where you stand insurance wise as some insurance comps

wont cover Cat d's or c's.

AXA who i've just insured my Landcruiser with wont

Personally i wouldn't touch a cat c with a long stick but that's just me.

Re sale value is massively reduced as well

Really? Well I have never heard that before and I have had a few Cat c vehicles over the years. I must have got a dozen quotes for the Supra and none of them had an issue with it being Cat C, one said it would need a copy of the VIC certificate and even that I thought was a little strange as if it hadnt have gone through the vic check I wouldnt have the V5 and it wouldn't have been taxed. Not saying all cars and write offs are the same, but there is a lot of taboo around written off cars, especially older cheaper stuff. However I did get a lot of insurers not happy to cover modified vehicles let alone one ones that have undergone an engine swap.

An older car that has expensive parts such as the Supra will get written off at a blink of an eye. Just look at some of the stories on here where owners have had a minor bump and everyone looks at the damage pics on here and says "it's a quick cheap fix" etc and then the car gets written off. Its purely down to the cost of parts and repair, although there will always be bent and twisted motors written off and botched up, speaking from experience I believe not all cat c Supras should be dismissed as crap.

If, and only if the UK spec is in better condition than the NA then go with that. But many of the UK specs I have seen recently seem to be really showing their age compared to J-spec cars. Also, there are plenty of NA-TT cars on here so dont let the "lowly N/A Auto thing" get in the way of you building a nice car up for yourself.

Really? Well I have never heard that before and I have had a few Cat c vehicles over the years. I must have got a dozen quotes for the Supra and none of them had an issue with it being Cat C, one said it would need a copy of the VIC certificate and even that I thought was a little strange as if it hadnt have gone through the vic check I wouldnt have the V5 and it wouldn't have been taxed. Not saying all cars and write offs are the same, but there is a lot of taboo around written off cars, especially older cheaper stuff. However I did get a lot of insurers not happy to cover modified vehicles let alone one ones that have undergone an engine swap.

An older car that has expensive parts such as the Supra will get written off at a blink of an eye. Just look at some of the stories on here where owners have had a minor bump and everyone looks at the damage pics on here and says "it's a quick cheap fix" etc and then the car gets written off. Its purely down to the cost of parts and repair, although there will always be bent and twisted motors written off and botched up, speaking from experience I believe not all cat c Supras should be dismissed as crap.

If, and only if the UK spec is in better condition than the NA then go with that. But many of the UK specs I have seen recently seem to be really showing their age compared to J-spec cars. Also, there are plenty of NA-TT cars on here so dont let the "lowly N/A Auto thing" get in the way of you building a nice car up for yourself.

I think mine is the better car to be honest, this UK car looks like it had light front end as its had new slam panel welded on and the front leg has a dent on the front of it. Its not big damage but this car will forever be cursed with the CAT c. I worry that I wouldn't be happy spending money on it knowing full well its never going to be worth good money. And nobody will want it if I ever needed to sell.. And this thread kind of confirmed what people think of insurance write offs..