The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Replacing shocks

Johnny176

Evening guys,

My rear offside shock has started to leak oil. It is becoming more and more noticeable over the last 2 weeks with the car feeling unstable at the rear when taking corners and as if its very soft when driving over dips and humps on the road.

I'm unsure if I should get new rear shocks, not sure where from tho. Or to go with a new set of coilovers, again not sure what to get. Can anyone recommend anything? I'm not looking to lower the car as veilside skirts don't leave me much clearance as it is and I don't want to go overkill on shocks since I don't track the car. Something slightly firmer to improve handling would be ideal tho

Thanks

Could you not get yours rebuilt bud? I have just had to replace my sus, I went for meister r coilovers to replace my damaged hks hipermax's. they arrived today so not fitted them yet. But the reviews are good and their customer service is first rate. Build quality is excellent, the fronts have pillowball bearings. And the spring rates being 14kg front 8kg rear will help on our bad roads. My 2 pence worth :)

I wasn't too sure what I could do with them tbh, thought I'd start by asking here :p

I had thought of taking the opportunity of getting an aftermarket set of coilovers since they are on the way out and there's a good chance another could go as well. I'll give them a google

Where would you recommend getting OEM dampers from Nic? Is that a Toyota dealer thing?

Try googling bilstein and by direct from them. All for shocks should be around the £400-£500 mark. If you go to Toyota for the bilstein shock they will charge you couple of hundred pounds more just for them saying Toyota on them

You can get a full set of fully adjustable BC Racing coilovers for £500

You can if you don't mind the dampers given up on you when you push them to much. You can't really beat the standard bilstein damper unless your willing to spend a couple of grand for a coilover system

You can if you don't mind the dampers given up on you when you push them to much. You can't really beat the standard bilstein damper unless your willing to spend a couple of grand for a coilover system

BC get a good rating on the forum - Have you had troubles with them yourself? I doubt anyone pushes them to there maximum on the street?

BC get a good rating on the forum - Have you had troubles with them yourself? I doubt anyone pushes them to there maximum on the street?

Not with the BC but with the Tein monoflex which is pretty much the same thing with a higher price tag. I found they gave the apperence of better handling by upping the spring rate to reduce body roll. But when pushed the dampers gave up. I guess if your not a driver that pushes your car then the system like BC, HSD, ect are fine and are well worth the money. But if you like to push and don't want to spend a small fortune on a system then i would say the bilstein set up is the best you can get.

got mine from chris wilson, toyota is stupid money, and i mean stupid money. you be suprised just how much the rubber insulators are for the new shocks if your old ones are toast ( the rubber covers over the shock) £70+ from toyota for the pair. bilsteins from toyota are about £470 for the rear 2 only, no covers just the shocks. pm chris wilson

Not with the BC but with the Tein monoflex which is pretty much the same thing with a higher price tag. I found they gave the apperence of better handling by upping the spring rate to reduce body roll. But when pushed the dampers gave up. I guess if your not a driver that pushes your car then the system like BC, HSD, ect are fine and are well worth the money. But if you like to push and don't want to spend a small fortune on a system then i would say the bilstein set up is the best you can get.

He said he's not going to do trackdays in the car etc, So the BC Racing setup will be fine.

Thread revival! Thanks for the advice guys. As I said, I was thinking about upgrading since I'm replacing the rear 2 anyways but fastcar and Dnk you say the Bilstein shocks are a good job? I did a quick google search for someone selling these but just got ebay links... I'll drop Chris a PM

I checked out those BC coilovers Chris, closest I could find was these? http://www.bc-racing.co.uk/applications/toyota-coilovers/toyota-supra-jza80-93-98/br-series-coilover-type-rs-1.html

I haven't been out in the car since I've been busy with work but there's another few drops of oil under the rear driverside again. I'm aiming to get it sorted before our 2 weeks of summer hits :p

Thread revival! Thanks for the advice guys. As I said, I was thinking about upgrading since I'm replacing the rear 2 anyways but fastcar and Dnk you say the Bilstein shocks are a good job? I did a quick google search for someone selling these but just got ebay links... I'll drop Chris a PM

I checked out those BC coilovers Chris, closest I could find was these? http://www.bc-racing.co.uk/applications/toyota-coilovers/toyota-supra-jza80-93-98/br-series-coilover-type-rs-1.html

I haven't been out in the car since I've been busy with work but there's another few drops of oil under the rear driverside again. I'm aiming to get it sorted before our 2 weeks of summer hits :p

You'd be better off calling Chris as he's not a fan of pm, his contact details are in his sig