The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Rev limit of a stock block?

Kaan W

Hi,

I see alot of threads on the power limit of the stock block but what is a safe constant rev limit when it comes to the block (Constant I mean running through the gears on an auto). If for example it was a brand new toyota short block could a 8500k limit be achieved with just the use of upgraded main studs? And while on the subject of new toyota blocks what is considered a safe limit?

Thanks

you'll probably find the valve gear is the limiting factor rather than the block

So in asnwer to my question, yes?

A built head is a must if going for a raised rev limit! Havent you just bought a fully built engine?

I have but the blocks is stock and the head is a fully built race head, reason being do I build the block with the money I have before chasing numbers or shall I just upgrade to a bigger turbo raise the rev limit on this fresh block and hope its as reliable as they say.

Your cam and turbo choice will effect your rev limit - and your oil leak.

What oil leak?

I have 272 cams and was thinking along the lines of a s366 but wanted to know if a stock block is is capable of 8.5k revs on stock internals.

I run the S366 on a stock block, 264 cams and ARP rod bolts and studs, it is on full boost by 4000ish RPM and makes a good 650ish BHP at 1.7 bar, stock limit, DaveR has the same set up but with a aftermarket intake and makes well over 700 BHP

You have a built head so raising the limit to 8000 should be fine, up the boost and away you go

Judging from Paul Whiffin's comment in this thread, he seems to think a forged engine would be required after 7k rpm, tbh is it worth buying a new stock block and 'hoping' it can deal with double the power it left the factory with?!

http://mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?277831-Suki-Dave-s-single-turbo-conversion-thread&p=3510891&viewfull=1#post3510891

I run the S366 on a stock block, 264 cams and ARP rod bolts and studs, it is on full boost by 4000ish RPM and makes a good 650ish BHP at 1.7 bar, stock limit, DaveR has the same set up but with a aftermarket intake and makes well over 700 BHP

You have a built head so raising the limit to 8000 should be fine, up the boost and away you go

Thanks Dean thats some advice I was looking for. 8000rpm still gives a nice power band and will get the benifit from the 272 cams.

Judging from Paul Whiffin's comment in this thread, he seems to think a forged engine would be required after 7k rpm, tbh is it worth buying a new stock block and 'hoping' it can deal with double the power it left the factory with?!

http://mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?277831-Suki-Dave-s-single-turbo-conversion-thread&p=3510891&viewfull=1#post3510891

Sorry I should have mentioned, the block has less than 2000 miles on it and the head the same but fully built and ported.

I would get some ARP rod bolts and studs fitted

At the end of the day Ryan will set the rev limit to the optimum level, thats what I would be looking for

Thats all I was planning tbh, I was looking at going with a built block previously but it wouldnt seem worth it as I doubt I would get the power upped before summers over.

I ran my stock block to 8000rpm for a few years with no issues so that should be a safe limit. Also depends on how much power you want as well and how good the ECU and fuel is so that you get no detonation.

Thanks, the fueling and ecu is more than sufficient. I'll more than likely swap in some arp studs so it should be fine for my goals.