The mkiv Supra Owners Club

MKV Supra. AWD or RWD?

Lee P

MKV Supra AWD or RWD  

67 members have voted

1. 1. MKV Supra AWD or RWD

• AWD
    • RWD

Ok guys so we are all interested in a possible MKV supra, but given the choice what would you want. AWD or RWD

We know that the GTR is awesome with its 4WD system being able to get all that power down, but does it take away some of the enjoyment.

Toyota have alway been about RWD drivers cars, so should it stick to that or go 4WD to try and take on the GTR

What are your thoughts, I'm torn as there are pros and cons to both. :)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got to be RWD for me - it's in their heritage and more fun to drive. Plus, I don't think they can take on the GTR

Really? i have seen big powered supra's take on GTR's and get a result. This thread will yet again turn into a supra Vs GTR fight.....

RWD!! More fuN! simple as that.... grips over rated :D. I like the idea of the arse kicking out and kissing it

The only way I'd be interested in buying a mkv supra is if they had the same sort of drivetrain as the GTR, RWD 99% of the time and AWD when needed, best of both worlds IMO.

A RWD mkv supra won't be able to compete with a GTR unless its AWD and in the 2 second mark to 60mph.

The only way I'd be interested in buying a mkv supra is if they had the same sort of drivetrain as the GTR, RWD 99% of the time and AWD when needed, best of both worlds IMO.

A RWD mkv supra won't be able to compete with a GTR unless its AWD and in the 2 second mark to 60mph.

:bye: Give us back the real Jamie Price!... sideways coming out of a roundabout! remember

Ok guys so we are all interested in a possible MKV supra, but given the choice what would you want. AWD or RWD

We know that the GTR is awesome with its 4WD system being able to get all that power down, but does it take away some of the enjoyment.

Toyota have alway been about RWD drivers cars, so should it stick to that or go 4WD to try and take on the GTR

What are your thoughts, I'm torn as there are pros and cons to both. :)

RWD !

A new Supra shouldn't be 'competing' with the GTR in my opinion. It should provide the customer with a choice and not just something that is very similar.

There will always be the people who like their 4WD machines so that they get the best traction from slow speed under acceleration etc. ...but equally there will always be the people who like RWD and the characteristics that this drive-train brings.

I would also hope that a new MkV Supra is not just a computer with wheels, similar to that of the LFA.

Keeping things 'basic' but with a modern engine, chassis, suspension and lightweight materials would be the way to 'update' the MkIV. Using a modern sequential turbo system and a lightweight and eye catching body/chassis and increase the power to weight ratio with a tuned in handling 'package' as standard would see many customers opt for it over many other cars I would have thought. (500bhp as Standard?)

Instead of going after the GTR market I would hope they went after the 911 GT2 market (or to be bold the F599/Aston Martin Vanquish), in that you could chose something of comparable performance but not have to pay 911 GT2/F599/Vanquish prices ;)

Definately RWD. Manual or auto would depend on wether we'd be getting a sports car or a gt.

I'd love them to bring us a very light, RWD sports car with a manual gearbox and a forced induction 6 cylinder engine. Kind of like a mix between a larger GT86 and a TVR Cebera.

Unfortunately, what we'll get is a heavy RWD LEXUS coupe with a dull engine and auto gearbox taken from another Lexus model and some hybrid witchcraft. It would likely be more of a spiritual successor to the Soarer/ SC430 than the Supra.

I can promise you that Toyota will NEVER sell another Supra model in the UK. It would always be badged as a Lexus and wouldn't bare the name Supra.

Edited by j_jza80 (see edit history)