The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Opinions on coil overs

markssupra

Been looking at various makes and prices and yet to decide which would be the best price / performance.

Car will be used mainly weekends with occasional drag racing and I think I would ideally like the ride height adjustable separate to spring preload which seems to be the Nitron, Tein and KW. Can't find that info on the HSD, BC or Ksport.

Contenders so far as all between £700 - £1500 price range.

1. HSD

2. BC racing type RS

3. Nitron NTR Sport

4. Tein Mono Flex MK4

5. Ksport Kontrol Pro

6. KW Variant 3 (most expensive)

Experience and opinions please :)

:yeahthat:

Another option would be to contact Chris Wilson about a custom setup.

:yeahthat: I totally agree - CW can do 5 levels of damping out of the box. From Stock (1) to Track (5) only. Personally I'll be getting a set or 2's off him in the future.

The BC's have an adjustable height collar which is seperate to spring preload.

I was in a similar boat and after speaking to several experts, I was stuck with getting the BC's due to time and budget constraints that I won't go into.

Apparently the valving inside them is crude and one expert described them as "garbage," but I'm pleasantly suprised at the value so far.

After weighing up everybody's opinions I would have no doubt gone for the cheapest nitrons (cheapest becuase they fit in my class regulations, the higher spec ones are outlawed) as not a single person disagreed that they are the ones to have.

But..... if you are only on street and drag, then maybe a cheaper package such as the others you've listed would help you put the remainder of your budget elsewhere. On the road it feels as smoother ride with the BC's than when I had bilsteins on, I have the dampers backed down to 5 (at zero it feels a bit bouncy and underdamped) and at the track have tried them right up to max (30).

They certainly seem good enough for my application (strictly "none serious" track fun) but if I ever have a problem with them i'll get nitrons if i feel i will be keeping the car long enough to justify the cost (half what I paid for the car!).

HTH

After more reading about these, decided on the KW V3.

Paul, on kw's site it mentions top mounts for the supra kit. Can you get them / do I need them? Do they come included?

They come with top mounts yes Mark, I've uploaded pictures of the Supra specific dampers on my website now http://www.garagewhifbitz.co.uk/index.php/kw-coilovers.html this is what you get.