The mkiv Supra Owners Club

2jz gte rebuild how far to go ?

james_cbr

ok got 2jz gte from abz / spg was told has leak so thort would be ok cuple seels maby split sump and reseal

but the more i strip off ot the more i think do i just strip it completly and rebuild from ground up ?

pics so far

of rear oil leaak looks like cam covers and rear crank seel

took inlet bits off to get a nice close look at hybreed turbos but 1st turbo looks oiley not good for turbos rebuilt 6k ago

striped back a bit further

turbo 2 looks beter inside

bit of oil running down from cam seels and oil pump looks oiley as well dosent look so bad in pics

oiley down side

closer pic

going to replave ribed pipes from inlet with silicon joiners

last pic of how far ive gone look inlet off as i intend to paint with engine enamal

how far do i go ?

Edited by james_cbr (see edit history)

well with curent limited funds im looking to do big end and main bering set full gasget set regrined valves do valve stem oil seels new oil pump

trying to save up for these atm

want a nice reliable engine with no leaks that i can turn the power up on and slowly mod it as i get use to more power

Its hard to say really, just replace the pumps, gaskets and do stem seals and that will be good for 600hp. The if you want more go for a full a built block, bigger cams etc then go from there. But its a bit pointless doing all this first if you dont plan on going for big power.

yeh gonna go to the 600 700 mark over time dont wanna spend loads in 1 go and have huge power and not be able to drive it im going to slowly mod more power over time so i get ust to how the car goes just want evrything to be reliable and long lasting

sort out leaks and botom end and top end now then its just bolt on bits later on like ecu cams injecters and so on

I would say that was leaking from pretty much every orifice :) Worse ones to fix are worn cranks causing front or rear main bearing seal leakage, and middle sump casting to block leaking, but if you are having the crank out to check and change shells you should be able to fix that in the process. I rarely see a MKIV head that doesn't need guides and some valves these days. The power is in the head, and piston sealing, so do it right, which will be expensive.

• 2 weeks later...

ok whal im wateing to get in to it a bit more i decided to do some cleaning and painting

then after a bit of sanding

and started the other

then bothy were closer to how i want them

got wire brush out and cleaned down my boost/inlet pipes

and started painting some hanging bit where ever i could

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...