The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Has anyone fitted a Borg Warner EFR turbo to their Supra?

Guest mwohaaahaahaa

Guest mwohaaahaahaa

Hello,

At some point I am looking to change the standard turbo on my Supra. I have been having a look around and all the turbos that seem to fit the supra nicely and although they are capable of producing more power they seem to have a lot of lag especially compared to the stock system which is a twin with the small one kicking on first and at least giving some boost low down in the revs.

I only really want about 400 to 500 HP but I want to have minimal lag and a wide torque band (The car is for street use rather than drag racing or track days). I have been reading about the borg warner efr range and from what i can gather, they spool up faster than any other turbo of a similar size and can also produce more boost and take more heat than any other turbo of a similar size.

Has anyone had any experience using them? I believe they are slightly 'longer' than most turbos due to built in waste gauges and BOVs, so I would expect some kind of custom manifold would be required to make it fit.

What are peoples thoughts?

BW turbos are very good, I believe Paul uses them in the Whifbitz turbo kits, lots of members are using them, although not the latest EFR model.

If your target is only 500hp you can easily spec a unit that doesnt suffer the lag your talking about, my advice would be get a passenger ride in some well setup cars and make a decision from that.

FYI the first turbo on the stock system is not smaller, both turbos are the same size ;-)

Also bear in mind, if going the single route its expensive, either you buy cheap components and break it and it ends up costing more or you pay out properly first time round for a reliable setup :D

Guest Nicholas

The EFR turbo's are incredible, I had one for an EG sleeved b18 civic but never got round to completing the build, I know for a fact Paul got an EFR turbo we had a discussion on fb about it so PM him asking for details. I believe they are a nightmare to get hold of though, when I ordered mine the lead time was 8 months!!

Edited by Nicholas (see edit history)

for a power goal of 500bhp a HX40 is massively overkill a HX35 would be much better suited

Ahh, good call, i figured with the Super 40 you should get better spool and headroom if you ever wanted more power.

Or you could go for a Billet wheeled HX52 like it did! :D

Guest mwohaaahaahaa
The EFR turbo's are incredible, I had one for an EG sleeved b18 civic but never got round to completing the build, I know for a fact Paul got an EFR turbo we had a discussion on fb about it so PM him asking for details. I believe they are a nightmare to get hold of though, when I ordered mine the lead time was 8 months!!

Thank you. I was going to get some for my skyline and a company who was going to source them for me got in contact saying that they were getting some in stock. Unfortunately I wrote my car off a few days before they told me about this so I didn't get any. :( I am more interested in what it actually take to fit it because I know they are not the standard size.

Guest mwohaaahaahaa

Thank you for all the other turbo suggestions. I'll be honest, because the EFR is so much better than all the other turbos on the market, I'm reluctant to go with anything else. While other would probably suit my needs, paying that little bit extra and getting the next generation of turbo just seems to make more sense. I would definitely have to be a passenger in a well set up car using one of the other turbos to see if i wanted to go that route. Also in order to get the car well set up, there maybe other components that I would need to get which would create a complete solution. This would need to be factored into the cost.

Guest Nicholas

Turbo wise you'll be wanting the BW EFR 7064, The only other thing you'd need is a specific manifold and it doesn't get better than the full-race T4 EFR IWG if you want to utilize the IWG turbo version. They do an external wg version also which is twin scroll.

Have a look at the sierra sierra evo running the EFR turbo, it's incredible!

Guest mwohaaahaahaa

Yeah I wasn't sure between the 6758 or the 7064. I know the 7064 is more powerful but the 6758 says that it can do up to 500HP and it should be more responsive and spool up quicker. I think either would be fine though.

Turbo wise you'll be wanting the BW EFR 7064, The only other thing you'd need is a specific manifold and it doesn't get better than the full-race T4 EFR IWG if you want to utilize the IWG turbo version. They do an external wg version also which is twin scroll.

Have a look at the sierra sierra evo running the EFR turbo, it's incredible!

Scruffy lap too!

A Garrett GT30R double ball bearing turbo will spool up similar to the stock 1st turbo ie. make positive boost at around 1.8k rpm. At moderate boost levels it will make just over 500hp, the biggest issue though will be getting traction in lower gears.

My personal choice for a fast responsive street setup would be a Garrett GTX3582R which will make positive boost at just over 2K rpm and will produce around 550-600hp at moderate boost levels.

Edited by Nic (see edit history)

A Garrett GT30R double ball bearing turbo will spool up similar to the stock 1st turbo ie. make positive boost at around 1.8k rpm. At moderate boost levels it will make just over 500hp, the biggest issue though will be getting traction in lower gears.

My personal choice for a fast responsive street setup would be a Garrett GTX3586R which will make positive boost at just over 2K rpm and will produce around 550-600hp at moderate boost levels.

That's what I would go for, myself.

Guest mwohaaahaahaa

Thank you for all the advice. Unfortunately my supra has a boost problem at present so is now off the road until I can get it fixed. it's ok at low boost bus as soon as it gets a bit higher the boost controller beeps and there isn't much power :(. Hopefully it won't be too expensive to fix. i know this is probably a silly question to you lot in the know, but what are the advantages/disadvantages between having internal or external waste gauges on the manifolds or turbos? is it just a space issue or something?