The mkiv Supra Owners Club

another tyre question?

Eddie-S

I'm getting ready for rears (255/40/17) and have been looking at my options, price is one consideration and I was just going to do a straight swap - Conti sport contacts -

but looking at the other options I've started to look at the grip/decibel ratings as well with low DB one of the main priorities

so I've come up with

Continental Sport Contact 3 255/40 R17 Y Roll resistance: C, Wet grip: B, Noise emissions: 73 dB.

GOODYEAR 255/40R17 94Y EFFICIENT GRIP Fuel Efficency:C Wet Grip:C Noise DB:70 Noise Class:2

DUNLOP 255/40R17 98Y SPORTMAXX Fuel Efficency:E Wet Grip:B Noise DB:69 Noise Class:1

Verdestein Ultrac Sessanta Roll resistance: F, Wet grip: C, Noise emissions: 67 dB.

At the moment I'm veering towards the Verdesteins or the Dunlops mainly because of the lower DB rating but with not much in it with the grip

The only reason I'd stick with the Conti's is to keep all four tyres the same (too noisy)

Any thoughts and recommendations welcome?

gt champiro

Not heard of these, will have a look

Go for the Verdestein Ultrac Sessanta's - I replaced the Conti's (which came with the Supra I brought) with these and found a great difference.

Thanks for the info, was edging towards these, what do you mean by great difference? grip, road noise, wear?

Guest kolin

It does not matters which company brand you have to buy but i am also preferred that Tyres which have good grip on ground on both surfaces dry and wet. this should be a priority whenever you are going to replace.

Edit - advertising removed

Edited by Ian C (see edit history)

Thanks for the info, was edging towards these, what do you mean by great difference? grip, road noise, wear?

The biggest difference was the wear, followed by grip in wet conditions, followed closely by grip in dry conditions. The tyre noise was pretty much the same.