The mkiv Supra Owners Club

PlastiDipped Dash?

Elmo

I'm Considering painting my dash in PlastiDip black, with gloss finish.

It seems like a good idea, firstly you can spray directly over the dash, no need to spend hours prepping (except for cleaning the surface prior to spraying), and if you mess up or decide to change colours you can just peel it off and start again.

Has anyone used plastiDip their dash, or any other part for that matter?

Can someone post a pic of a dash done with this product?

Whats the process simply spray it on?

Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Also - wheres the best play to buy? Seen a few sites and its out of stock?

You can spray Plastidip directly onto almost anything, plastic and rubber included. Just make sure you clean the surface first then spray it on, much easier than using conventional spray paint.

There aren't many places that sell it, if plastidip.co.uk have sold out, you'll need to wait for them to get more stock. I have seen it on ebay but it's twice the price.

It worrys me slightly that it can peel off so easily.

How well does it stand up to daily use ?

Obviously not an issue on the dash but around the gearlever etc is likely to get "touched"

I don't think it peels off that easy, you have get a pin or something in it to get it started, then you have to pull it off. It's quite hard wearing, after all people paint their wheels and whole cars in the stuff, just make sure you give it 5 or 6 coats and you'll be fine.

Will stick a thread up this weekend mate, was thinking carbon wrap initially so bought a sheet of the 3M and wrapped the gear surround and ashtray lid. Liked it at first but now not so keen. Would prefer a more OEM look.

I didn't bother getting the plastidip primer so will see how holds without.