The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Dropping front subframe to remove sump..?

ballsdeep

Would it be easier to remove the subframe than removing the engine on a n/a? I need to remove the sump so i can drill and tap it for my oil return. I have tried searching for a guide but couldn't find anything, in my head dropping the subframe would be quicker and easier??

Is there anything else to consider other than support engine, remove 2x nuts for the mounts, 6 bolts/nuts for subframe, steering rack, brake lines and roll bar??

Any tips you can share would be much appreciated

What troubled you most listy?

So if I was to pull the engine I'm guessing leaving the loom connected would be a good idea? What about the gearbox should I take the lot out in one? I was hoping I might have got enough room to remove the sump by just lifting the engine a little and dropping subframe a bit? :(

Thinking about it, the problems I had was after the subframe came off, as I was changing the oil pump.

Just to remove the sump shouldn't be so bad. Sorry I just remembered it being a pita but just remembered why :innocent:

Just when it goes back on, it can be a pain to line up. Just loosely put the bolts in at first, so that you can tweak the position to get the other side in properly.

Cheers guys made my mind up to pull the engine, I found this thread real useful for anyone doing it.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?136136-NA-to-TT-engine-transplant-step-by-step-guide-(Pic-heavy)

I'm more than likely going to leave the gearbox in and loom attached. Will be changing rear seal and water pipe at the back of the head while I'm at it!

Cheers guys made my mind up to pull the engine, I found this thread real useful for anyone doing it.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?136136-NA-to-TT-engine-transplant-step-by-step-guide-(Pic-heavy)

I'm more than likely going to leave the gearbox in and loom attached. Will be changing rear seal and water pipe at the back of the head while I'm at it!

Hey mate, I'm actually using the same thread as reference for a few parts bits such as the fuel lines. Very useful indeed!

If you have any questions then give me a shout as I'm 3/4 through removing mine at the moment. Just waiting on a engine crane to do the rest :)