The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Non-Facelift dash in a facelift car?

Homer

A guy from work is in the process of shipping over a Jap 6spd supra and send me some pics of it today. The car is described as a 'facelift' but the dashboard is pre-facelift (4 gauges instead of 5 gauges).

It certainly looks like a facelift car from the outside as the lights, indicators and reflectors are all facelift, but the dash definitely is not!

Its a late 95 car so I guess is one of the first facelift models, does anyone know if some of these cars got the old dash? Is there anything else that can be checked to ensure the guy is getting a real facelift car?

He does not have the full Chassis plate details, just the frame number: 0032626 which does seem to be about right for a late 95..

Cheers :thumbs:

Pic of the interior:

suprai.jpg

I thought it was 96 on cars that were facelift........

My gut feeling is saying its a non facelift thats been 'facelifted' externally by a previous owner (however this could be disputed by the lack of side repeaters in the wings. Maybe filled? or light front smack and new facelift wings used?)

Baseing this on assumption that no facelifts came with the old dash (which i think is true) and therefore why would you convert back and even can you convert back, as the Odo is ditigal pre facelift and old style manual on the facelift..

more investigation required i think.....

does the front bumper have the horizontal bar in the front gap?

Anyone know how the (very) basic boost gauge works in the facelifts, as you could go looking for this now redundant bit of wire or piping?

There was a window of about 6 months in 1996 where you got facelifted TTs without vvt-i, I think these are probably the rarest MkIV Supra going :D

I'm with Scooter on this one - new wings and a new nose, kinda suspicious, because it's deffo not a facelift inside. Have you got a piccy of the rear quarter...?

You could also check the wire colours on the injector harness, but obviously not while it's on a boat somewhere.

-Ian

Seems like the guy was told some duff info then... This car is defo not a VVTI (see engine pic in next post).

He's trying to get the info about the VIN plate (hopefuly the seller has this), so we can see if that sheds any light. You never know it might even be an ultra rare half-facelift car :p

Heres the rear:

suprab.jpg

Hmmm, strange. That's definitely a facelift exterior, with the facelift wings, lights, bumper and I can't believe anyone would go to the trouble of replacing all those on a non facelift car. Easiest explanation would be that someone has mixed the photos up. Is the interior pic definitely of the same car?

Btw, the window between facelift and VVTi is actually quite big. The facelift was May 95, and the VVTi appeared in September 97. Mine's a facelift non VVTi.

Originally posted by SimonB

Easiest explanation would be that someone has mixed the photos up. Is the interior pic definitely of the same car?

Well that's what I suspected too - I thought I'd cracked it when I saw how close the blue Skyline was parked next to it and how open the door was in the interior pic - could you open the door up that far with that Skyline parked so close... but then the door isn't open that far actually.

If you look at the white cars in the very first photo I think the car on the right is the same one on the left of the photo from the back...?

Thanks for all the replies chaps, I've passed this posts link onto the fellow so I'm sure he'll be along shortly to say hello.

Originally posted by SimonB

Easiest explanation would be that someone has mixed the photos up. Is the interior pic definitely of the same car?

Good point - I've heard of traders in Japan doing this before - just supply photos of any old interior just to get a sale... I think we won't know what the car is for sure until it arrives in December!

If the facelift was from May 1995, does that mean that you can get a facelift UK spec car?? I didn't think you could?

Also mine is a March 1997 car and is a non VVTi facelift, but it also has those seats in it.

All facelifts have the 5 dial dash (not the 4?? dial dash stated).

Either the interior pic of that car is incorrect, or the car has had a front smash, they rebuilt it as a facelift, and added rear facelift lights.

Ben..

It looks like the same car inside and out - there is an anti-rain guard on the driver's side A pillar in the interior shot, and you can just see on the front 3/4 shot another one on the passenger side.

Note the heel and toe pattern marks, maybe they were an enthusiastic driver and took the front and rear off at some point /conspiracytheory :D

-Ian

Just get the bleedin' chassis no.s off the VIN plate...then reference against the list on http://www.mkiv.co.nz.

This will tell you what the car is. When it was made.

Then you know if you have an older car with new bits bolted on (possibly due to a front ender). If they've just been bolted on then it will be a great start IMO as the facelift exterior stuff is an improvement!