The mkiv Supra Owners Club

practical/experience: which model to go for

Guest balloo

Guest balloo

hi mkiv owners

just wanted to know what are the practical pros and cons are there for various models on a supra mkiv.....i want to make sure i get the right supra for myself.....

big questions i guess are......n/a v tt, uk tt v jdm tt, manual v auto..................pros and cons?

What I want to know is if you have utilised our fantastic search button up there at the top right of the forum? ;)

Welcome, by the way! :D

You'll find incredible amounts of information and opinions on here - just have a browse around and most of your initial questions will be answered. :)

Guest balloo

intended use = shopping (wife says so), cruising (mates say so), and frequent journeys to petrol stations (toyota say so)

search and browse...hmm...................interesting thoughts. I'l take in on board :D

Surprised the mods haven't moved this yet but guess their busy getting the yacht

ready for the summer :D

Do you prefer auto or manual ? Do you want more than 200 hp ?

How much money do you have to spend buying your mkiv ?

Guest balloo
Pro: TT

Con: N/A

:rlol:

This is hardly very technical :D

i see your bet and i raise it with....

pro = na (looks the same)

con = tt (probably been thrashed about a lot)

Guest balloo
Surprised the mods haven't moved this yet but guess their busy getting the yacht

ready for the summer :D

Do you prefer auto or manual ? Do you want more than 200 hp ?

How much money do you have to spend buying your mkiv ?

oopss....i should have posted this in supra chat, right?

ermmm.....i would prefer a manual...........but cant afford a tt6 for now......so i guess...either a manual na or a tt auto

Guest balloo
There is always the option of a NA-TT with a W58 5 speed manual box too. ;)

isnt w58 a much weaker box? there's gotta be a reason why the w58 is in n/a supras and not twin/single turbo ones....

Shameless plug :)

I have no idea what you are speaking about? :D

isnt w58 a much weaker box? there's gotta be a reason why the w58 is in n/a supras and not twin/single turbo ones....

They certainly cannot take the levels of torque that a Getrag V160/V161 can, but at sensible levels where the numbers start with a 3, they can hold up just fine - I'm nearly 4 years into ownership and haven't had any issues :)

Another think to think about is the running costs are about the same for the NA and TT depending on how you drive.

When I last looked there was not much difference in insurance cost and depending on year the tax will be the same.

It's cheaper to buy a TT than to buy an NA and then want more power 2 months down the line.

Guest balloo
but at sensible levels where the numbers start with a 3, they can hold up just fine - I'm nearly 4 years into ownership and haven't had any issues :)

what numbers? bhp figures?

I'd go TT if you can afford it. Why wouldn't you?

I had a TT 6 spd for 6 years. Lovely to drive, but if I were to buy again I would seriously consider an auto. I've driven a UK spec BPU auto and it was superb.

If your into tracking it I would go manual, otherwise for general driving and comfort I would go auto.

Even better get late spec car with the sequential auto system!

what numbers? bhp figures?

Yes.

I'd go TT if you can afford it. Why wouldn't you?

:yeahthat:

A lot of NA owners cling to reliability as the overriding reason to own one of the limp-wristed pseudo-Supras in the first place, but apart from reliability being perhaps the least exciting aspect of car ownership ( :Popcorn: to that though...), in over 5 years of TT / T ownership, I can count on one hand the number of reliability issues I've had:

1. Stock radiator split during a track day - my fault really for using a 15-year old component in that manner

2. Puncture - irrelevant, could happen to any car

3. 2nd turbo failed - my fault: 4 years at increased boost over stock is always going to reduce the lifespan

4. Battery died - my fault for working too hard and not using the car for over 6 weeks (poor thing... :D )

See? I've still got a finger left! Less than 1 problem a year (all caused by me, really) is good reliability in my book and my car is currently pushing out >700bhp (see My Garage); previous to that it was >400bhp at BPU+ spec for 4 years, as mentioned.

More importantly, there have been miles & miles and hours & hours of boost-induced smiles! :eyebrows: Something no NA owner can claim...

To summarise: choose wisely! :)

Edited by DaveR
Corrected typo (see edit history)

No turbo related issues with my car and that had been at

400 hp for over 70,000 miles, it's now done 137,000 miles

and runs like a dream.

If you get a tt that's been looked after and carry on looking

after it it'll go on for a long time.

The trouble here is if it's been miss treated by a previous

owner/s, it might not show up for a while and is very hard

to tell, there are UK specs running the original turbos well

into 150,000 + miles and one i've heard of is over 200,000

The NA will still have lots of the same problems a tt will have,

heater matrix & radiators fall apart with age, brake lines and

calipers will be on the verge of needing replacing, suspension

arms and dampers etc etc.

I spent more on replacing the suspension arms than most

NA's sell for so bare that in mind, a supra is not a cheap car

to keep on the rd these days unless you run it via ebay or

the breakers yards

Whatever you buy it will be between 11 and 20 years old !!!

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)