The mkiv Supra Owners Club

I got a defect notice from plod

Paul

Hi, as the title says I got pulled by the 'Fuzz' and the nice man gave me a defect notice for my number plates :D

3/4 size front plate, wrong font and mis-spaced.

Seeing that it's such a serious crime, one that could cause harm to other road users and pedestrians alike:thumbs: I've given in and got some proper ones done so they don't get the satisfaction of giving me a fine and points.

Now, my question is, when I take it to my MOT place to get the bit of paper stamped do they/can they charge for this or what?

Ta, Paul

They can charge for this. The same thing happened to me a couple of years ago with my 'Ang1' plate on my work car.

I decided that the object of the defect form was to get me to have plates that conform to the law, and that as I had not been fined, I shouldn't have to pay to have the form stamped.

So, I turned up at the local central ticket office with my car and its' nice shiny new plates. I showed them the form and explained that it hadn't been stamped as the garage wanted to charge for the privelege. I said the car was parked outside and they could look at it there and then. Eventually they agreed. They had to find a Police Officer in the building to come outside to check that they were legal first! (Civvy staffed these days apparently!)

Anyway, this worked for me. although it was a bit of a hassle!

I just didn't see why I should spend £10 to get the form stamped. Fair enough, paying for the plates, but that was as far as I was going!

:cool:

Nice one!

Yeah, like you say, I've not been done or fined in any way so it's the principle, I'm not paying for 30 seconds work in looking at the new plates then stamping a bit of paper.

So, did the copper just sign it off then? Is this OK?

To be honest, plod was quite good about it really. He said he'd seen worse and also admitted that they needed to be laid out correctly mainly because of Gatsos :(

He asked me about the Supra and said 'I bet that goes well', I replied by saying 'I'm hardly likely to tell you that am I !' :D

Paul

Originally posted by Paul

So, did the copper just sign it off then? Is this OK?

They really didn't want to sign it off, but I stuck to my guns.

I basically said something along the lines of "Look. This form said I had to get the plates changed. I've done that so it has achieved its' aim. I've brought the car to you so you can record the fact that it now conforms to the regulations regarding the plates. You are free to check them. It's parked outside etc. etc."

Good luck with it. Might help having a shiny Supe for them to have a look at!

Let us know how you get on.

:thumbs:

Done:thumbs:

Went to my local MOT bloke and he just took the defect notice off me and stamped/signed it.

He and everyone else has said 'have they got f*ck all better to do'

Well, obviously not :D

Went down the police station with documents and the woman behind the desk couldn't make out the coppers writing and kept asking me to spell things out.

The funniest bit was when she asked me if the registration was VPR or UPR. I told her it was UPR and said that was rather ironic considering I got pulled for not having clear to read plates and the guy giving out the ticket wrote like a three year old !!

Never mind (t*ssers)

Paul