The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Fitting aerocatches To a stock Bonnet

safcdixon

As title fellas what would/have you use(d) to fit aerocatches to a stock bonnet, would making a start hole hole with a drill and using jigsaw be the best option?

when I fitted them to my carbon one I used an angle gringer and then cut away the rest with a copeing saw which isn't really doable with aluminium?

Suggestions please I don't want to ruin it :D

If it was me i would drill plenty of little holes rather than one hole and then risk trying to cut out the rest with the jigsaw. I would have thought that if the blade was to struggle or bite while your going around the curves it might try to jump up and pull/dent the bonnet. But at least with plenty of small holes it only cuts through a few millimeters at a time. Ive got a set to fit to a stock bonnet myself and that's how i will be tackling it.

If it was me i would drill plenty of little holes rather than one hole and then risk trying to cut out the rest with the jigsaw. I would have thought that if the blade was to struggle or bite while your going around the curves it might try to jump up and pull/dent the bonnet. But at least with plenty of small holes it only cuts through a few millimeters at a time. Ive got a set to fit to a stock bonnet myself and that's how i will be tackling it.

Sounds like a plan il be doing this job some time this coming week, yeah your right more holes the better, it was a pain on the carbon one but easy to fix if something went wrong, where as the Ali bonnet wont be so easy to fix.

I have just fitted to my carbon fibre bonnet and would suggest doing a search on here. There is a guide that I followed, I think by hodge?

Drill loads of holes to the template and then file off.

Be careful though as it took a lot of fettling to get the pins in the right place and the front lug part on the catch needs taking out otherwise the pin won't engage properly.

I will have a search and see if I can find the link. It was very helpful!

Just for your info I located the pin first. Then put masking tape over the top of the bonnet. Secured the catch on top off the bonnet by the pin and then marked out the shape from the catch itself. It took me the best part of 3 hours to do before I was happy with the result. But I am not the best at doing this sort of thing.

Picture of them fitted. They did come with backing plate with nylock nuts!

http://i1353.photobucket.com/albums/q666/stevepaine1/Supra%20tidy%20up/D9264D1B-051E-4429-B408-C1B29B8466F6-2820-000001BC9D3FC2A8_zps1c19f4eb.jpg

I alreay have the pins fitted as i had a trd carbon bonnet fitted before just changed it back to a stock one, so have a headstart on it already :)

Its always a nervous moment cutting into a bonnet though

so you going to make a cardboard template of the trd catch position relative to the corner edges so you get the pin position correct for the ali bonnet catches?

so you going to make a cardboard template of the trd catch position relative to the corner edges so you get the pin position correct for the ali bonnet catches?

Im dubious about doing that as carbon/fibre bonnets are very rarely a perfect fit, so im not fully confident that it would be accurate

Im dubious about doing that as carbon/fibre bonnets are very rarely a perfect fit, so im not fully confident that it would be accurate

true, probably better to do a template measurement from edge of wing and headlight or something that gives good solid position

Here's Hodge's guide on fitting them mate, Best way to work out where to drill is to over extend the pin, then put something like bluetac or something on the top of the pin and CAREFULLY lower the bonnet down onto it to show you where to drill. Then you can just use a small pilot drill to drill back from the underside, and then when your happy your directly over the top of it you can drill it out with a bigger drill.

POST #2469

http://www.mkiv.co.uk/vbb/showthread.php?196108-Hodge-s-%28The-Kraken%29-Supra-build/page62

• 10 months later...

I've just fitted aerocatches to my new stock bonnet. WHAT A BALL ACHE!!!!!!!!!

At least with a carbon bonnet it's only two layers. Three on a stock bonnet, and each layer is tacked to the other.

Took me three hours to fit one catch. The second went much quicker, as I made a template and flipped it, but oh my days, I will NEVER fit aerocatches to a stock bonnet again!

I've just fitted aerocatches to my new stock bonnet. WHAT A BALL ACHE!!!!!!!!!

At least with a carbon bonnet it's only two layers. Three on a stock bonnet, and each layer is tacked to the other.

Took me three hours to fit one catch. The second went much quicker, as I made a template and flipped it, but oh my days, I will NEVER fit aerocatches to a stock bonnet again!

I told you it was a nightmare!! Lol.