The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Boost gauge opinion

Holmer

Hi All,

First forum post outside the new members area so please be gentle :)

Just bought a forum members old car and have a few idea of where I would like to start, its already BPU+ so the first step will be a new boost gauge and controller. (Its currently got the stock facelift one which is far from accurate and only reads to 1 bar)

As its a lovely red car with a red TRD steering so I have been looking long and hard at all the forum posts and options available seems going for a 60mm Gauge in the clock position will be the best place to start as I dont really want to get into dash pods or A-Pillars etc but was looking to keep the black / red theme as much as possible.

i18946.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=121049323223

The above link is what I have decided upon, and from what I can tell its an electronic gauge, I am hoping these are ok to fit. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Before I press the buy button does this seem like a good fit for the car? And a reasonable price? I have gone through all the for sale threads and cant find anything else suitable and nothing used comes up on fleabay.

Thanks

Mark

A 60mm gauge will not fit in the clock location. For that you require a 52mm gauge. 60mm would go in the air vent though :)

Depo gauges have proven to be good, as well as Prosport gauges. I'm looking to get a full set of Prosport gauges for mine.

A 60mm gauge will not fit in the clock location. For that you require a 52mm gauge. 60mm would go in the air vent though :)

Depo gauges have proven to be good, as well as Prosport gauges. I'm looking to get a full set of Prosport gauges for mine.

i have a nice new prosport boost guage brand new that im not gonna use if any ones intrested

They are easily fitted into the Air Vent if you would prefer a 60mm gauge anyway

Defi Gauges are certainly one of the best, hence the price, but I would think twice about going through EBay it's flooded with fakes

Try a couple of the traders on here as than you know you can sort any issues if necessary

I can vouch for ProSports, I had them on my old MR2 and compared them directly to a few other sources of reading boost (i.e a DSBC Spec-R) and it was spot on. The only problem with Depo and ProSport is they're trying to be something they're not, rather than just selling themselves as a company that makes good gauges, they're trying to copy, for the most part, Defi. I had the Evo gauges because they looked f-ing awesome, frankly (And I couldn't see any 'real' version anywhere else) and was surprised at their performance. Must say the kit that comes with them is a bit naff though ;)

Thanks for looking James, in the end I managed to find a black bezeled with RED LED dial from prosport which was also pretty cheap. I will post a finished pic once its in and all lit up after this weekend :D The left over money can go towards a boost controller depending on what its reading.

Wile e coyote I think I will most likely keep the clock for now, hopefully qwarrior can sort you his one out but if he cant find his PM me and I am sure we can sort something out.

So, got around to the gauge install with a mate today. A few interesting points were raised!!!

1.) The prosport wiring diagram should not be used. Infact ignore everything it says as its completely incorrect. Especially on the headlight switch / duel colour gauges.

2.) 52mm Gauges are wayyyy to small for the clock position on a facelift model, so will need to exchange it for the larger one

3.) The car is running 0.9 bar on a cold day, which is good news as there is a bit of scope to increase that.

If anyone wants the 52mm Version please PM me :search: I will get a proper interior pic / vid of the startup sequence once the new one arrives.

See pics below..

IMG_2093.JPG

IMG_2090.JPG