The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Single turbo gurus - help please! T88-34D?

James

Currently looking at a 6 speed VVTi Supra with one of these fitted. I don't know the rest of the accompanying spec yet (cams, ECU, injectors etc.) but should hopefully soon!

Just wondering if anyone has any experience/opinions of these?

I'm coming from a 5 speed NA-TT (almost) BPU. Will it be too big and laggy? Will it be too powerful for a stock engine? Would I need to raise the rev limit to make it worthwhile? Lots of questions!

Thanks in advance! :)

Currently looking at a 6 speed VVTi Supra with one of these fitted. I don't know the rest of the accompanying spec yet (cams, ECU, injectors etc.) but should hopefully soon!

Just wondering if anyone has any experience/opinions of these?

I'm coming from a 5 speed NA-TT (almost) BPU. Will it be too big and laggy? Will it be too powerful for a stock engine? Would I need to raise the rev limit to make it worthwhile? Lots of questions!

Thanks in advance! :)

good luck mate

once i come back from dragonball im going to sell mine or strip it to sell and get myself a single turbo car

nothing...nothing...nothing...nothing...POWERRRRRRRRRRRRRR

It's not as bad as people say, it's like an Internet myth, I bet you have never been in a supra with one?

It's a 72mm turbo that's good for 800bhp, yes there are better turbos out there these days, but it's still a reliable old beast that can deliver the goods.

I had this exact turbo on a 2.7 stroked RB26, made 735 bhp and was quick, you need to run fairly big boost to get the best out of it with an increased rev limit, I ran 1.8 bar

It's a very different drive to my other singles, I stuck a TO4Z on the RB26 after and it was a better street car for me as you really had to drive it hard on the T88 to get the power due to lag

It was easier on fuel however as you can happily drive off boost with a T88

Thanks for all of the replies everyone, very helpful!

If it has all of the appropriate accompanying mods (say 800cc injectors or thereabouts, 264 cams, whatever manifold, wastegate etc.) is it just a case of changing out the turbo and remapping? I'm not sure on what the flanges and other components are like between different aftermarket turbos to know what bits are interchangeable to, say, change a T88 setup to a T04Z or whatever. :)

I don't know whether a T88 would be a bit overkill as an initial change up from my current TT setup. :)

Oh and Rob, it is a stock body 1997 VVTi. Currently has OEM skirts and a Ridox front bumper but the bumper would be replaced with an OEM facelift one and the skirts changed to the Top Secret ones in my garage. Then I'd fit my Kansai carbon lip and Shine diffuser. The wheels on it at the moment aren't very nice (to me) either - CCW Classics would be going on there. ;)

http://picture1.goo-net.com/020/0200500/J/0200500A20130316W00116.jpg

Edited by James (see edit history)

The T88 has had a bit of stick off people saying they ate too old school, way too laggy and a bit shite. Probably almost all have never been in a T88 supra. I love mine, yes its laggy but it stops me driving like a lunatic all the time. You can drive off boost and then give it some and have some fun. Comes online around 4800 rpm and I have a 7500 rev limit.

They are a reliable turbo, give good power and are easy to live with. They sound immense when they come online aswell. Ye s there are far better turbos but you pay more for them. Do not be put off. You will love it...

The T88 has had a bit of stick off people saying they ate too old school, way too laggy and a bit $#@!e. Probably almost all have never been in a T88 supra. I love mine, yes its laggy but it stops me driving like a lunatic all the time. You can drive off boost and then give it some and have some fun. Comes online around 4800 rpm and I have a 7500 rev limit.

They are a reliable turbo, give good power and are easy to live with. They sound immense when they come online aswell. Ye s there are far better turbos but you pay more for them. Do not be put off. You will love it...

Thanks for that Adam, glad you were able to pipe up as I knew you had one but wanted to put the question out to gather more opinions :)

Do you have a built engine/uprated head? I'm not sure of the spec of this particular car yet so don't know if it has anything done to accomodate the turbo to the best of it's abilities! I should hopefully find out in the next day or 2 though! I'm guessing that the VVTi setup will aid in slightly quicker spool as well (or at least I hope that'd be the case!).

As I mentioned, I just hope that - if I do take the plunge - it isn't too much to go straight to! I guess that depends on the boost it is running of course! How do you find it 'on the street'? Or can you only really come on boost on motorway runs? :)

- - - Updated - - -

The T88 has had a bit of stick off people saying they ate too old school, way too laggy and a bit $#@!e. Probably almost all have never been in a T88 supra. I love mine, yes its laggy but it stops me driving like a lunatic all the time. You can drive off boost and then give it some and have some fun. Comes online around 4800 rpm and I have a 7500 rev limit.

Thanks for that Adam, glad you were able to pipe up as I knew you had one but wanted to put the question out to gather more opinions :)

Do you have a built engine/uprated head? I'm not sure of the spec of this particular car yet so don't know if it has anything done to accomodate the turbo to the best of it's abilities! I should hopefully find out in the next day or 2 though! I'm guessing that the VVTi setup will aid in slightly quicker spool as well (or at least I hope that'd be the case!).

As I mentioned, I just hope that - if I do take the plunge - it isn't too much to go straight to! I guess that depends on the boost it is running of course! How do you find it 'on the street'? Or can you only really come on boost on motorway runs? :)

I have a uprated head (bigger valves/ported 280 cams with uprated springs etc). Standard bottom end.

Its like this, if you want to drive the car normally then keep it under 4500 rpm, if you want to be a loon go past it. Very easy to drive with as your style of driving determines how the car goes. Its not like you can never use the car in anger unless you are on a motorway.

Any single supra is a bit of an animal, you will love it.

Put it this way, I have spent tens of thousands of pounds on my car uprating this and that, but the T88 is still on it, so It cant be "that" bad... Still has a great reputation for a bruiser turbo and still is a really expensive kit over the pond.

Lastly the video posted is a slightly different turbo, being a T88H (the biggest out of the range) they are rated to over 1000bhp, he 34d (depending on what spec as there are a few sizes in wheels etc) will support up to 800+

My car was running 1000cc injectors, standard engine and uprated fuel pump and made 550bhp at just 1.2 bar when I first got it...