The mkiv Supra Owners Club

aero quip fitings for cam covers

jay200bhp

guys i have clamp on hoses at the moment and would like to have two unions welded onto the cam covers and then fit aero quip earls is close by at silverstone but what fittings do people usually use for this and can someone linky me to where they got themn too please?

I have found that Torques fittings are just as good as goodridge, aeroquip etc but a fraction of the price, im replacing all my old worn hoses with these and they fit great and have a real strong seal. Ideally you want AN 12 fittings (3/4") for the cam breathers and use standard braided rubber hose.

what do you guys do woth the psv valve on the rh side cam as i will route both pipes from lh and rh cam covers up to the catch tank? is it blocked off inlet side i run an oem inlet...??

I think so mate, ask TheTurtleshead as he has just done his and I would like to know also.

i basically need two straight females, two 90 degree females four an12 weld on male bosses and a load of pipe and a relevent bung for psv hole? im currently pestering hodge ... do you find the quality of these torques bits as good as said goodrich gear mate?

J

i basically need two straight females, two 90 degree females four an12 weld on male bosses and a load of pipe and a relevent bung for psv hole? im currently pestering hodge ... do you find the quality of these torques bits as good as said goodrich gear mate?

J

I personally think they are just as good mate and remember Hodge saying somewhere the same thing. Real good quality for the price and if they can hold the oil pressure on my single they can hold the air pressure of a breather ;)

I have a whifbitz polished catch tank if your after one, im routing mine under the car so I dont need it.

Firstly, I wouldn't use torques fittings, cheap crap IMO. The torques braided hose is even worse. Thinkauto, Earls, APS, Speedflow are all good. APS are a bit cheaper but still decent enough quality, we're not building a spaceships or a racing cars here.

If you plan on venting the exhaust side cam cover to atmosphere/catch can, I would either vent both or connect them both up to a vacuum source.

The reason being is this;

Sometimes people will leave the stock check valve in the intake side cover and connect this up to the manifold as per stock, then vent the exhaust side to atmosphere or a vented catch can. However the two cam covers are connected via the breather hoses in the spark plug well, to equalise the pressure between both halves of the head. This means that at idle and off boost when the intake is under vacuum, the head is under vacuum and therefore the exhaust cam cover is also under vacuum….

However this is generating a vacuum back down the breather hose on the exhaust side cover as well.

There is always going to be a slight vacuum here at idle/ off boost driving, more if your engine has a few miles on it. However i'd want to minimise it as you aren't worried about gaining power through crank case evacuation at idle/off boost, and the risk here for me would be the engine sucking up a load of old oily crap from either the catch can or something that is lurking in the breather pipe, hence vent them both to atmosphere with decent filters on the ends that are kept away from getting dirty. Then clean these filters, and maybe the pipes, every few thousand miles ( At oil change time maybe?) just to be sure.

I personally don't like venting the crank case back into the intake anyway. Why'd you want oil vapour ruining your nice clean intake mixture? Unless you're lubing supercharger blades that is!

I haven't researched this at all, i've just come up with it through thinking about it. However there are far more experienced engine builders on here than me so I could be totally full of shite!!! However this is what I intend to do, someone please educate me i'm spouting bollocks as per usual ! :D

Edited by TheTurtleshead (see edit history)

Firstly, I wouldn't use torques fittings, cheap crap IMO. The torques braided hose is even worse. Thinkauto, Earls, APS, Speedflow are all good. APS are a bit cheaper but still decent enough quality, we're not building a spaceships or a racing cars here.

If you plan on venting the exhaust side cam cover to atmosphere/catch can, I would either vent both or connect them both up to a vacuum source.

Sometimes people will leave the stock check valve in the intake side cover and connect this up to the manifold as per stock, then vent the exhaust side to atmosphere or a vented catch can. However the two cam covers are connected via the breather hoses in the spark plug well, to equalise the pressure between both halves of the head. This means that at idle and off boost when the intake is under vacuum, the head is under vacuum and therefore the exhaust cam cover is also under vacuum….

However this is generating a vacuum back down the breather hose on the exhaust side cover as well.

There is always going to be a slight vacuum here at idle/ off boost driving, more if your engine has a few miles on it. However i'd want to minimise it as you aren't worried about gaining power through crank case evacuation at idle/off boost, and the risk here for me would be the engine sucking up a load of old oily crap from either the catch can or something that is lurking in the breather pipe, hence vent them both to atmosphere with decent filters on the ends that are kept away from getting dirty. Then clean these filters, and maybe the pipes, every few thousand miles ( At oil change time maybe?) just to be sure.

I personally don't like venting the crank case back into the intake anyway. Why'd you want oil vapour ruining your nice clean intake mixture? Unless you're lubing supercharger blades that is!

I haven't researched this at all, i've just come up with it through thinking about it. However there are far more experienced engine builders on here than me so I could be totally full of $#@!e!!! However this is what I intend to do, someone please educate me i'm spouting bollocks as per usual ! :D

Well you certainly gave a better explination than me :D

I thought about plumbing the hose straight back into the scuttle panel with a filter on each outlet as its hidden from grime and still vents nicely but it just means using more fittings, I think for what the op wants is a cheap alternative which for breather hose, torques is more than suitable for this imo but its down to him.

Well you certainly gave a better explination than me :D

I thought about plumbing the hose straight back into the scuttle panel with a filter on each outlet as its hidden from grime and still vents nicely but it just means using more fittings, I think for what the op wants is a cheap alternative which for breather hose, torques is more than suitable for this imo.

Don't forget that if you lost a piston… then you would end up with oil all over your windscreen! :) With your driving record Kaan, you need all the help you can get! JK

when you mention rigging them to vacuum source how do you mean james... i would have two hoses from cam boxes to a tee piece then one tee to my catch tank i think would that be ok?

I haven't researched this at all, i've just come up with it through thinking about it. However there are far more experienced engine builders on here than me so I could be totally full of $#@!e!!! However this is what I intend to do, someone please educate me i'm spouting bollocks as per usual ! :D

Torques fittings ain't bad, we use them on all the rx7 engines and I used them on my build, so that's just an opinion made.

Ask Lee. We had a car in, won't say whose it was! It had torqued braided lines and fittings on the turbo water feeds. They basically all leaked, so we ha to replace them. The quality of the braided lines was wank as well.

Edited by TheTurtleshead (see edit history)

when you mention rigging them to vacuum source how do you mean james... i would have two hoses from cam boxes to a tee piece then one tee to my catch tank i think would that be ok?

That would work. A proper vacuum source would be a one way valve in the mid/downpipe to provide vacuum from the exhaust which extracted the fumes from said baffled catch tank

That would work. A proper vacuum source would be a one way valve in the mid/downpipe to provide vacuum from the exhaust which extracted the fumes from said baffled catch tank

So what about the catch tanks whifbitz sells with an inlet from the exhaust side cam cover and a breather filter? This is what I have although there is another version where a pipe comes from each of the cam covers then another pipe exits the tank and goes to a vacuum source.

so if i had a pipe each side to from cam cover to the tee piece one pipe to the catch tank (this is a whifbitz one with push on hose fitting and a k and n vent to atmosphere) and a pipe from the catch tank to the turbo pipe it would be considered a vacuum source james?as some are vented back that way ? did you bung the inlet manifold hole up here the psv was?

Ask Lee. We had a car in, won't say whose it was! It had torqued braided lines and fittings on the turbo water feeds. They basically all leaked, so we ha to replace them. The quality of the braided lines was wank as well.

So one story. I stick by them, rx7 boys use them a lot and never had trouble. Each to there own.

So one story. I stick by them, rx7 boys use them a lot and never had trouble. Each to there own.

Ive replaced all my shabby hoses with them thats solved all my leaks. There the only brand I have used although I have found the're a bit stubbon to clamp on the hose but once locked on, its on!

Ive replaced all my shabby hoses with them thats solved all my leaks. There the only brand I have used although I have found the're a bit stubbon to clamp on the hose but once locked on, its on!

I was mainly talking about the fixings, but yeah I have used there other stuff too. I agree on the braided line though, that's gash.

I was mainly talking about the fixings, but yeah I have used there other stuff too. I agree on the braided line though, that's gash.

Yeah thats what I meant saying hoses meaning the whole assembley with fixings. The rubber braid is no good but the teflon seems pretty good. Nothing compared to some 20 year old aeroquip I have in the garage from one of my dads old builds lol that stuff dont even bend!

i asked something similar her about the pipe to the turbo intake

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?284038-just-wondering-what-this-is-for

was advised against it? need to know for when time comes to do mine.

also ive seen some people tap the covers, will this work without leaking if ptf tape is used?

Edited by ashbuster (see edit history)

i asked something similar her about the pipe to the turbo intake

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?284038-just-wondering-what-this-is-for

was advised against it? need to know for when time comes to do mine.

also ive seen some people tap the covers, will this work without leaking if ptf tape is used?

I wouldn't recommend tapping them. The covers are very thin so you won't even get 2 threads. Asking for trouble if you ask me.