The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Converting passenger seat subframe to drivers side?

Elmo

With a bit of chopping & welding is this Possible?

Is it just a case of relocating the seat belt mounting thread to the opposite side?

At the moment I'm desperate, my car is currently on the drive seatless, it has not tax or MOT, I have just acquired a pair of Cobra seats but it looks like the custom Cobra subframes are on a long lead time, so I’m screwed as my supe is my daily runner :(

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers!

I cant say without seeing but I would guess its possible with a bit of chopping and wealding if necessary. I made a couple of subframes from scratch to fit some cobra's into a saxo for a friend and so I cant see it being that hard if the subframe is there to start with. Just take a picture of it then flip it verticaly on a computer and copy that :D

Or just see Paul at whifbitz.

With a bit of chopping & welding is this Possible?

Is it just a case of relocating the seat belt mounting thread to the opposite side?

At the moment I'm desperate, my car is currently on the drive seatless, it has not tax or MOT, I have just acquired a pair of Cobra seats but it looks like the custom Cobra subframes are on a long lead time, so I’m screwed as my supe is my daily runner :(

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers!

Did you ring Keron?

I would just get any seat in as a temporary measure.

I cant say without seeing but I would guess its possible with a bit of chopping and wealding if necessary. I made a couple of subframes from scratch to fit some cobra's into a saxo for a friend and so I cant see it being that hard if the subframe is there to start with. Just take a picture of it then flip it verticaly on a computer and copy that :D

Or just see Paul at whifbitz.

I have no shortage of spare seats! I currently have 2 faulty electric drivers seats and 2 passenger seats. I suppose instead of chopping the seatbelt locator from one of the passenger sub, I could get it cut off one of the faulty drivers sub then get it welded on the passenger sub, obviously I need to make sure the cobra mounting holes would line up, then get them drilled.

I've been in touch with Paul, unfortunately he can't help me with the Cobra subs.

If it was a good quality weld (by a professional), wouldn't that be strong enough?

The subframes I built were more than strong enough, using 1/4" thick 2x2" corner section wealded together around every seam then bolted into the car with 6 M10 bolts on each one, it was probably over the top but definately bomb proof lol. although as above I wouldnt lash one together without proper wealding gear etc.

Of course it would, its how regular subframes are made anyway, aslong are you/they are a competent welder it makes no odds aslong as its safe and solid

The subframes I built were more than strong enough, using 1/4" thick 2x2" corner section wealded together around every seam then bolted into the car with 6 M10 bolts on each one, it was probably over the top but definately bomb proof lol. although as above I wouldnt lash one together without proper wealding gear etc.

I know someone who's mate is a professional welder, he could take the subs to his place of work and get them welded for me. I'm going to dismantle a passenger seat tonight and see what I'm left with.