The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Possible warped discs.

Graham1984

I was out in the car yesterday doing ahem speed and noticed under hard breaking a slight shudder when braking, would that be sticking caliper, pads on their way out or warped discs or both? It didn't seem to always do it it was more that I noticed it when panning it and slowing down than any when else.

I have seen a few sets of pads up for sale (cw fronts/full set or Abzs discs ebc green pads ect/ toyota replacements ) and wondered what you chaps thought.

Edited by Graham1984 (see edit history)

Easiest way to tell is to take the wheel off, and you can see how low the pads are without removing them. If they have plenty of meat left, I'd suggest possible warped disc. If they are very low, I'd suggest the pads. However, if the pads are completely gone, you would get a metal on metal sound.

However, if the pads are completely gone, you would get a metal on metal sound.

That's what I thought, would it be wise if for example it was the discs to change all of them or just the front where it sounded like it was coming from?

It was you that changed my sig to the pink fluffy slipper bit wasn't it Listy :p

I feel violated.

Edited by Graham1984
discs not calipers (see edit history)

That's what I thought, would it be wise if for example it was the discs to change all of them or just the front where it sounded like it was coming from?

It was you that changed my sig to the pink fluffy slipper bit wasn't it Listy :p

I feel violated.

Not me mate. Don't even know if I can with my yellow status. ;) ;)

As Dunk says noise when braking would suggest a brake issue.

Very easy to check the wheel bearings, just jack up each wheel, hold the tyre and pull backwards and forwards, if there is play in the bearing you'll feel the wheel move.

I was out in the car yesterday doing ahem speed and noticed under hard breaking a slight shudder when braking, would that be sticking caliper, pads on their way out or warped discs or both? It didn't seem to always do it it was more that I noticed it when panning it and slowing down than any when else.

I have seen a few sets of pads up for sale (cw fronts/full set or Abzs discs ebc green pads ect/ toyota replacements ) and wondered what you chaps thought.

Well it shouldn't shudder, I have hit the limiter on mine and had to put the anchors on hard before from there and they stopped perfectly fine with no judders. My money would be on slightly wrapped discs, though I did have a similar issue on another cars years ago after it had been in the paint shop for a couple of months. A lot drive sorted this out though they never seemed to be 100% - I put it down to the heat in the paint booth.

I am giving my whole set to Keron dude as I wanted to get rid of it as a full set rather than have bits and pieces laying about.

• 8 months later...

Just to bump this, this problem has come back the last couple of days mostly when doing 60-70mph and going away when around 50mph,It was giving a light shuddering feeling iirc after braking which made me think possibly the calipers were getting stuck. When I got home earlier the rear discs were pretty hot (nice surprise for my hand) and there is a tiny lip on the top all round on both rear discs of about 1mm, guessing this means they are done for and to replace the rear discs?

I had a look on Tcp's site as they seem quite cheap for stock part replacements and they are only about £44 inc vat each so not too bad I guess, just thought I would ask before looking to buy really.

You want me to drive it and see what I think it is?

Have you got spigot rings on those Mania POS's? My Mania wheels shook intermittantly.

No it's okay my mates a mechanic so I can get him to have a look. The mania's are not on there anymore.

After having a nose around other threads it seems like it is just the brake disc.