The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Radiator

firepool

Hi

Looks like my radiator has finally given up after 19 yrs of service! Noticed a leak from the front end after a short run.

I let her cool down and started her up from cold, and it started leaking again quite badly once it got hot. I noticed the top rad hose was hot and the bottom hose cold. Is this normal?

And does anyone know who has a new rad for sale? I'm not really interested in a shiny blinging one as the old AC condenser sits in front of it! Would like a new one as opposed to a used/recon one though.

Thanks

firepool

MVP sell Hosetechniques vacuum pipe in all different colours so might be worth

contacting them.

Or find a new supplier here in the uk and replace your hoses with a new matching

colour and sell your hosetechniques, Whifbitz and SRD do silicon rad hoses

Thanks for the advice. I made a start earlier to get the old thermostat out, decided to try to do it from above but lots of bits in the way.

Can you remove it without taking the alternator off or is this a must?

(Car's on axle stands, wheels off, bumper off, rad out so access isn't a problem)

place called fastrads in south wales supplied me with one a few years ago for my previous supra, £225 brand new, nice quality

give a call

http://www.fastrads.co.uk/

The ones on eBay (same one I got) are cheap enough, and look rather similar to ones some traders sell; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CLEARANCE-TOYOTA-SUPRA-MK4-TURBO-1993-1998-RADIATOR-NEW-50mm-CORE-2-YR-WARRANTY-/281041154583?_trksid=p5197.m1992&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D14%26meid%3D6781272100647773320%26pid%3D100015%26prg%3D1006%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D281041154583%26

• 2 weeks later...
Disconnect the heater hoses and put a hose pipe on the inlet side but don't go

too mad with the water pressure, turn the ignition on and put the heater to max hot

and you should be able to flush out the matrix.

Which one of these is the heater matrix inlet hose? And can I also flush through the return hose (with ignition on and heater on max)?

My ebay rad was a shocking fitment!

Which one of these is the heater matrix inlet hose? And can I also flush through the return hose (with ignition on and heater on max)?

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff121/firepooldp/20130420_160016edit.jpg

Im about 50% sure its hose 2 :)

I got mine from their parent company but not tried it yet, but maybe less things to get wrong with a rad for a manual (fingers crossed)!

I had a manual rad as I have after market gearbox coolers.

Put it this way, the bottom of the rad fit snug in the bottom rubbers while the top sat half inch away from the metal panel one side and the other side was touching. After taking it out and laying on a flat surface I noticed it was quite badly twisted.

Put it this way, the bottom of the rad fit snug in the bottom rubbers while the top sat half inch away from the metal panel one side and the other side was touching. After taking it out and laying on a flat surface I noticed it was quite badly twisted.

Tried mine earlier and it fits perfect so I think you were just unlucky. Although I bought mine from their parent company.

I managed to flush the matrix earlier both ways, got some old coolant out but no crud or other nasties so well happy. Didn't need to have ignition on and heater on max as the water valve must have already been open.

Looking forward to fitting all my new bits now; new radiator, thermostat (one I took out worked fine but replaced anyway), Toyota long life red coolant and new blue silicone top and bottom rad hoses from Whifbitz. Happy days :cool: