The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Insurance + Blitz

Dave F

I am currently modding my n/a supe with a Blitz nur spec r from Hyperformance and after this a Blitz induction kit. The question is how much will it increase the bhp by. I asked my insurance company and they say if it does not increase bhp it will cost no extra. My arguement is that as an engine gets older it loses its full power (correct me if I'm wrong) so if these mods add say afew bhp it would probably be back near standard power again therefore no increase over standard> Am I right or will this increase the bhp by a fair bit over standard?

Originally posted by Dave F

I am currently modding my n/a supe with a Blitz nur spec r from Hyperformance and after this a Blitz induction kit. The question is how much will it increase the bhp by. I asked my insurance company and they say if it does not increase bhp it will cost no extra. My arguement is that as an engine gets older it loses its full power (correct me if I'm wrong) so if these mods add say afew bhp it would probably be back near standard power again therefore no increase over standard> Am I right or will this increase the bhp by a fair bit over standard?

on an n/a these will hardly give an increase in power at all. they may/should make the engine more responsive though

Yep, and you could argue that back to back measurements would be the only fair way, and I can't really see them going to the trouble of sourcing a standard exhaust, swapping them over, etc.

Never heard of an insurance company asking about the specific bhp increase from an exhaust though. Most ask if one has been fitted or not, but how on earth you're actually meant to tell the specific increase is beyond me. No disrespect to leett but you're just taking someone's word for it - again you'd need to do back to back tests before and after fitting to know for sure, and who's gonna do that?

Seems a little odd. Who's the company btw?

Its with tesco's insurance, it was a bit difficult explaining what part was what as she did'nt have a clue but she was still pretty helpful. She said if it was cosmetic and no power increase the premium would not change. At least it will show on my policy that there sre mods (safer that way). I was tempted to do a rolling road test after fitting the items so I can prove it is not more than standard bhp, not just for insurance purposes its just nice to see what power is still left in her:)